Have you ever received a special award for your translation work?
Thread poster: Olieslagers
Olieslagers
Olieslagers
French Polynesia
Local time: 05:59
Dutch to French
+ ...
Oct 19, 2017

We often complain that our work is not recognized at its true value, that the translation industry has become too competitive and that the relationship between agencies and freelance translators is too impersonal. However, some clients like to show their gratitude for our outstanding service by referring their associates, co-workers or friends to us or by sending us a kind email. A few weeks ago a client offered me a bottle of Champaign to thank me for my work.
What about you? Have you
... See more
We often complain that our work is not recognized at its true value, that the translation industry has become too competitive and that the relationship between agencies and freelance translators is too impersonal. However, some clients like to show their gratitude for our outstanding service by referring their associates, co-workers or friends to us or by sending us a kind email. A few weeks ago a client offered me a bottle of Champaign to thank me for my work.
What about you? Have you ever received an unusual gift from a client?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:59
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Oct 20, 2017

I worked as a sworn translator in Belgium for many years and those clients as the contact was much more direct and personal were more likely to give presents: a Belgian lawyer for whom I had translated a huge adoption file offered me quite a magnificent bouquet of flowers. I also received many boxes of Belgian chocolates (pralines). Over the years I have also received small Christmas presents from several customers and suppliers…

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:59
English to French
Chocolates for the new year Oct 20, 2017

I could handle Champagne too!

Olieslagers wrote:
What about you? Have you ever received an unusual gift from a client?

A long-standing agency sends me a box of chocolates every year. And they're very good!

When I used to do interpreting on multiweek-long missions a long time ago, all interpreters were given the equipment they used in their jobs (safety boots, goggles, coveralls, gloves...), plus merchandise from the external experts we were interpreting for (tie, tie clip, laser pointer...) and from the client (souvenirs, wine, photos and "awards", branded office articles...)

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever received a special award for your translation work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »