sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:33
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2018

Who is familiar with "global" copyright issues?

Here's an idea to take useful financial news in one language and make it available to the English and Russian speaking worlds. Published articles are spiced up with some extra content I have produced , grouped thematically, with acknowledgement of original source, translations to be published on a blog.

2 options:
Some sort of direct monetization, either thru subscription or advertising.
Or to avoid any proble
... See more
Who is familiar with "global" copyright issues?

Here's an idea to take useful financial news in one language and make it available to the English and Russian speaking worlds. Published articles are spiced up with some extra content I have produced , grouped thematically, with acknowledgement of original source, translations to be published on a blog.

2 options:
Or to avoid any problems, use site as showcase to further services.

Is this an infringement of copyright law?
Does it depend on the blog server hosting country (EU)?

[Edited at 2018-09-21 21:54 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
French to English
Not really sure Sep 21, 2018

You'd have to be really careful with this. It's one thing to acknowledge sources if you cite them unamended. I have no idea what you mean by "spiced up". It is not a very technical term! You're talking about altering copyrighted material, translating it and deriving income from it. Take legal advice before going ahead!

[Edited at 2018-09-21 22:46 GMT]

Yolanda Broad

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:33
English to Thai
+ ...
Income out of copyrighted materials Sep 22, 2018

[email protected] wrote:

2 options:

According to intellectual properties treaty, modifying of copyrighted materials is a breach of such rights.

Soonthon L.

Yolanda Broad

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 22, 2018

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

2 options:

According to intellectual properties treaty, modifying of copyrighted materials is a breach of such rights.

Soonthon L.

Is translation a modification?

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Keeping in vague Sep 22, 2018

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

You'd have to be really careful with this. It's one thing to acknowledge sources if you cite them unamended. I have no idea what you mean by "spiced up". It is not a very technical term! You're talking about altering copyrighted material, translating it and deriving income from it. Take legal advice before going ahead!

[Edited at 2018-09-21 22:46 GMT]

I have made no decisions, I am keeping this vague.
I can add extra information about the content is what I meant.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
News copyright is different Sep 22, 2018

[email protected] wrote:

All I know is that copyright works differently in the newspaper world, where translation of news stories is often regarded not as translation but as rewriting facts. Facts are not subject to copyright, and this makes it difficult to tell when translating a text is "translating literary content" and when it is "writing facts".

Acknowledging the original source is nice but it is not related to copyright, and whether you do or don't acknowledge the source has no effect on whether copyright is breached or not.

Spicing up the content adds value but I don't think that simply spicing up a text will turn a copyright breach into a non-breach. That said, read the first paragraph of my reply again.

[Edited at 2018-09-22 14:35 GMT]

sdvplatt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copyright

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »