Thread poster: Mike Donlin
Danylo Kravchuk
Danylo Kravchuk  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 10:35
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
How to request payment from a client via ProZ Pay? Sep 27, 2018

And is it possible for a client to make payment from PayPal here?

Iryna Khramchenko

dkfmmuc
dkfmmuc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
An example of ill-considered diversification Sep 27, 2018

Dear Mike,

just would like to add my opinion that adding an additional payment feature to the site of proz.com is just an ill-considered diversification.

The main disadvantage of proz.com is the lack of increasing volume of projects in some language pairs.

If proz.com develops to a really valuable source for more projects it is completely negligible which method of payment the customer chooses.

Use your energy and dedication to increase the
... See more
Dear Mike,

just would like to add my opinion that adding an additional payment feature to the site of proz.com is just an ill-considered diversification.

The main disadvantage of proz.com is the lack of increasing volume of projects in some language pairs.

If proz.com develops to a really valuable source for more projects it is completely negligible which method of payment the customer chooses.

Use your energy and dedication to increase the number of projects!

I am happy with my personal "two methods of payment" approach: Accepting both the wire transfer and PayPal.

The best and perfect way for domestic, European and overseas customers.

Therefore it would be the perfect enhancement if proz.com focuses on the core business.

Just my humble opinion.

Best regards

Gerd

[Edited at 2018-09-27 13:18 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Yvonne Gallagher
Anna Zahorska
Katalin Szilárd
Daryo
writeaway

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
Local time: 04:35
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Request pay and PayPal Sep 27, 2018

Danylo Kravchuk wrote:

And is it possible for a client to make payment from PayPal here?

Hi Danylo,

We have discussed via email, but wanted to answer here as well.

Presently one way to request a client make payment through ProZ Pay, or to introduce the service, would be to send your personalized payment link to them. This starts a payment directive for the LSP with your profile already chosen.

Using your example, the client may fund the payment using PayPal and the payment would reach you via bank transfer.

We will be adding additional ways for professionals to request payment or simply introduce this as an option to their client.

Mike

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
strong? Oct 4, 2018

Mike Donlin wrote:
Is your client a ProZ.com business member with a strong Blue Board?

A "strong" Blue Board is not a reliable indicator of anything. See the numerous discussions on that subject.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Mirko Mainardi
Katalin Szilárd
Daryo
Morano El-Kholy
Oliver Pekelharing
Yvonne Gallagher

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Sad but true Oct 4, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

Mike Donlin wrote:
Is your client a ProZ.com business member with a strong Blue Board?

A "strong" Blue Board is not a reliable indicator of anything. See the numerous discussions on that subject.

Unfortunately Tom is right, and that makes the BB much less valuable and hardly sufficient as a risk assessment tool.

As far as I'm concerned, a bad BB rating equates to "avoid" but a good or perfect BB score only means I have to look elsewhere for additional, unbiased, uncoerced, more candid (and possibly uncensored) feedback about that company*.

P.S. *I fear the new "ratings" system for translators will only make things worse in this respect.

[Edited at 2018-10-04 10:59 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Katalin Szilárd
Daryo
Morano El-Kholy
Michele Fauble
writeaway

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Update? Oct 6, 2018

Mike Donlin wrote:

Hi Mirko,

The form confirms you are not a US taxpayer. The tax information is requested in order to streamline this overall process.

I will take a closer look to see where you are encountering concerns. Many have filled it out, but we have gotten some feedback like yours where it appears more confusing than maybe it needs to be based on the circumstances you have described.

Hi Mike, any update about this?

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
New service with Little information Oct 10, 2018

Dear Mike,

Here are a few points:
1. As the title says, If one want to consider and evaluate there should be enough info beforehand to make one believe that he should adjust the settings and use this option.

2. When one make an invoice/project each invoice corresponding to an invoice number and money amount.
If sent money will be coming from Proz.com, what will be position of the Proz.com in this transaction.

3. Received money will be total amou
... See more
Dear Mike,

Here are a few points:
1. As the title says, If one want to consider and evaluate there should be enough info beforehand to make one believe that he should adjust the settings and use this option.

2. When one make an invoice/project each invoice corresponding to an invoice number and money amount.
If sent money will be coming from Proz.com, what will be position of the Proz.com in this transaction.

3. Received money will be total amount less proz.pay fees but invoice amount will be different. If so, are you guys prepare an invoice for the fee so we can use in bookkeeping?

4. One of the example is paypal. I remember them processing fees, transactions etc without a banking license. But sooner or later this had to come before the eyes of FDIC and FED.
So it seems you are repeating the same without a banking license.

5. Since Proz.com is not the customer here, and received money from proz.com will be less than initial invoice amount, will make us change: customer info, and invoice amount. which will increase book keeping work, and adjustments etc. Not to mention working on customer information after money is received, could be after the end of quarter and it may already be summitted. Therefore, this may even be taken as fishy

Regards,

N. Yigit
Collapse

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Assisting in bookkeeping Oct 10, 2018

Nizamettin Yigit wrote:

Received money will be total amount less proz.pay fees but invoice amount will be different. If so, are you guys prepare an invoice for the fee so we can use in bookkeeping?

Hi N. Yigit,

I believe your questions are about the accounting/book keeping for each invoice. We will be able to assist with providing documentation as needed for any fees deducted, or why the total deposited might end up higher than payment through previous methods.

Let us know what may be required for your situation.

Mike

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
German to English
+ ...
I was initially puzzled Oct 14, 2018

I read the opening post several times in the past few days: this list:

1) Keep more of your earnings (ProZ Pay beats PayPal fees in various countries when you choose bank transfer as the payout method), and potentially get paid earlier
2) Show you are payable (by ProZ Pay) to prospective clients
3) Less paperwork - enter payment and tax information once
4) Get paid your way (PayPal and bank transfer available)

I also read discussion about some form tha
... See more
I read the opening post several times in the past few days: this list:

1) Keep more of your earnings (ProZ Pay beats PayPal fees in various countries when you choose bank transfer as the payout method), and potentially get paid earlier
2) Show you are payable (by ProZ Pay) to prospective clients
3) Less paperwork - enter payment and tax information once
4) Get paid your way (PayPal and bank transfer available)

I also read discussion about some form that somebody had to fill out to prove that they aren't liable for US tax or something like that.

1) I looked at my own reality. My clients pay me by bank transfer, cheque, sometimes cash, and on rare occasion PayPal when that is the only way to do it. I receive 100% of my fee. So the "keep more" didn't make sense. (If a client insists on using Paypal, I charge an extra fee to cover what PP will take off.)

2) Showing myself "payable" was just puzzling. If I provide a service, and charge for it, of course I can get paid. Some new clients will ask 'How can I pay you?" and I tell them. It's simple. No client has ever thought, "I wonder if it is impossible to pay this translator." (or did they?)

3) My invoice template is set up, and it takes almost no time to generate, send, and file the invoice. When I read about the US tax thing, it occurred to me that it would be more complicated than what I currently do; possibly more paperwork, not less. (I know next to nothing about US tax forms).

4) I already get paid my way (point 1).

What I finally figured out is that some translators, in some circumstances and countries, may encounter difficulties in getting paid by clients - esp. in some other countries and circumstances. This may offer some much needed solutions in those circumstances.

Or (also), might this offer convenience for some of the large translation agencies who deal with a lot of customers and translators, and need to streamline everything under one basket?
Collapse

Mohamed Gaafar
Mohamed Gaafar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:35
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Why Do you Impose receiving payment in local currency to use bank wire transfer? change please Oct 20, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback and questions. Sorry for the confusing information on fees.

This is our second time offering a payment service. (The first was about 15 years ago, and the service was well received, but it was too much hassle for us as a small team at that time.) Over the last few months, we have confirmed that in partnership with several payment/banking partners, we are able to offer a service that is more convenient for the payer, and that enables freelancers to keep more of their money, when compared to Paypal and others. Sometimes quite a bit is saved.

In short, we want our members to be able to say -- as the freelancer quoted in the newsletter said -- "I saved on the conversion rate as well as the bank cost". That is our goal.

Plus there are other benefits, which the page mentions.

As a side note, I think that there is a reasonable chance that we are going to be able to reduce the period of time it takes for freelancer translators and interpreters to get paid. Not just through ProZ*Pay, but in the industry in general. I'm not going to get into how I envision that happening, because it will take a little time to roll things out, but for the record, it is an objective.

The question is I want to receive payment in Euro or USD but when I tried to participate I found that you previously set the local currency as my bank account. I do want to make a currency conversion. Can you change this please ?!!

Walter Landesman

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
Update? Oct 20, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Mike Donlin wrote:

Hi Mirko,

The form confirms you are not a US taxpayer. The tax information is requested in order to streamline this overall process.

I will take a closer look to see where you are encountering concerns. Many have filled it out, but we have gotten some feedback like yours where it appears more confusing than maybe it needs to be based on the circumstances you have described.

In the meanwhile, a couple quotes about the tax-treaty point in particular:

"A reduced rate of withholding applies to a foreign person that provides a Form W-8BEN claiming a reduced rate of withholding under an income tax treaty only if the foreign person provides a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)" - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits

"Any tax treaty claim made on forms 8233 or W-8BEN without a permanent U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) cannot be accepted." - https://humanresources.umn.edu/pay-and-taxes/claiming-tax-treaty-benefits-nonresident-aliens

"Payments for services provided outside the U. S. by Foreign Entities and individuals are considered foreign source, and are not subject to U.S. reporting or withholding.
W-8BEN: Use restricted to foreign individuals only. It is used to claim foreign status and also to claim treaty benefits for royalty/passive income or scholarships/fellowships only.

Individuals not eligible for the other W8 forms should use the W-8BEN.
A U.S. Tax identification number is not required if no treaty benefits are requested.
A U.S. tax identification number is required for a treaty benefit exemption from tax withholding." - https://ba.uoregon.edu/content/payments-to-foreign-entities

"The US side of the tax reporting of an overseas contractor is relatively straightforward if:

- The worker is not a US citizen or resident alien,
- All of the work will occur in the foreign country,
- And the worker will not spend any time in the US.

In this scenario, the organization must have the worker document citizenship and residence by completing Form W-8BEN, which should be kept on file, similar to a W-9. The foreign worker does not need a SSN, EIN, or ITIN in order to complete the form. A foreign citizen, who earns US source income, may be subject to nonresident alien (NRA) withholding, which varies according the type of income and any applicable treaty rates. But payment for personal services is sourced according to where the work is performed. If all of the work is done overseas, then the income is foreign sourced, which is not taxable by the US, and NRA withholding is not required. There is no further tax reporting required." - https://www.tatetryon.com/what-to-consider-before-going-global-using-independent-contractors/

Jorge Payan

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:35
German to English
+ ...
rethinking it Oct 20, 2018

In general my current payment relationship is fine so I have no need for such a service or any extra steps. However, I do run into one particular situation from time to time - clients in Germany. It has happened more than once that their banks are stymied by the fact that countries outside of the EU do not have the codes they are used to filling out to route the payment, and they just don't know how to do it. So I have only encountered this with Germany. We usually find a workaround.
... See more
In general my current payment relationship is fine so I have no need for such a service or any extra steps. However, I do run into one particular situation from time to time - clients in Germany. It has happened more than once that their banks are stymied by the fact that countries outside of the EU do not have the codes they are used to filling out to route the payment, and they just don't know how to do it. So I have only encountered this with Germany. We usually find a workaround.

Would ProZ Pay have something to offer in this kind of scenario? From what I am reading here, would I end up having a new problem involving the US taxation system and forms to fill out in that regard?
Collapse

GILBERTO CORTES
GILBERTO CORTES  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Member (2017)
German to Spanish
+ ...
A question of payment Oct 22, 2018

I'm from Venezuela, I receive my payments through Paypal.
A company in Europe pays me by bank transfer and I lose a lot of money.
If I request my payment through Proz Pay, can you transfer it to my Paypal account at a lower cost?
Thanks
Gilberto

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Getting paid your way, bank transfer to PayPal Oct 22, 2018

GILBERTO CORTES wrote:

I receive my payments through Paypal.
A company in Europe pays me by bank transfer and I lose a lot of money.
If I request my payment through Proz Pay, can you transfer it to my Paypal account at a lower cost?
Thanks
Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

We can work companies in Europe to help make payments via PayPal. Before making any promises on your payment, we would want to discuss your particular circumstances.

More responses and updates to come on some of the other questions in this forum.

Mike

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Payment outside usual channels Oct 23, 2018

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Would ProZ Pay have something to offer in this kind of scenario? From what I am reading here, would I end up having a new problem involving the US taxation system and forms to fill out in that regard?

Hi Maxi,

Your example would be a case where ProZ Pay may be able to help. There should be no additional issues with the US taxation. When the situation arises again, propose this as a solution.

Mike

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Pay™: A new way for freelancers to get paid

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »