jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:35
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
interesting points Aug 10, 2020

Wai Hin Lee wrote:
For example, one multinational homeware company uses very weird marketing script. It is as if someone is speaking English in Chinese characters. [Edited at 2020-08-10 09:46 GMT]

Interesting points but can you elaborate on this point: "It is as if someone is speaking English in Chinese characters." I just couldn't get how they would do it.

Wai Hin Lee
Wai Hin Lee
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:35
Member (2020)
English to Chinese
+ ...
word-for-word translation Aug 10, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

Interesting points but can you elaborate on this point: "It is as if someone is speaking English in Chinese characters." I just couldn't get how they would do it.

It seems to me that some of the scripts are translated word-for-word, adopting the English way of thinking and the sentence structures of the original texts, only replacing the English terms with Chinese words, without considering the reading habits of Chinese readers. That's what I meant by "speaking (or more accurately, writing) English in Chinese characters".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contacting a company for the first time after visiting its website

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »