Thread poster: Sabine Weiten
Sabine Weiten
Sabine Weiten
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:13
English to German
Feb 22, 2021

Hi there,

I am translating books on the online platform Tektime at the moment.
However, I find it quite annoying that they are taking off the Italian taxes right away, but apparently they have to do so by law. There is a chance to claim it back, but either I am totally stupid or the explanation on how to fill in the forms is confusing.

Are there any translators here in the UK who have been through that particular mill and would be able to give me a helping hand wi
... See more
Hi there,

I am translating books on the online platform Tektime at the moment.
However, I find it quite annoying that they are taking off the Italian taxes right away, but apparently they have to do so by law. There is a chance to claim it back, but either I am totally stupid or the explanation on how to fill in the forms is confusing.

Are there any translators here in the UK who have been through that particular mill and would be able to give me a helping hand with the form? I have written to the Italian authorities for clarification, but I think that might take ages before I will get an answer. If at all.

Many thanks,
Sabine
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Illegal Feb 22, 2021

Since you are resident for tax purposes in the UK and you are providing your services in the UK, in my opinion it is illegal for them to take tax from you. I would avoid working with those people.

[Edited at 2021-02-22 16:37 GMT]

Sabine Weiten
Sabine Weiten
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
not convinced that it really is illegal Feb 22, 2021

Well, that is on their website:

Italian law, in the case of physical persons (individual), requires us to apply the withholding tax indicated in the invoice.

SUBJECTS RESIDENT IN ITALY:
We will send an annual certification report to use in your tax return.

SUBJECTS NON-RESIDENT IN ITALY:
If you meet the necessary requirements and if your country has entered into an agreement to avoid double taxation, you can request the refund of that amount. Al
... See more
Well, that is on their website:

Italian law, in the case of physical persons (individual), requires us to apply the withholding tax indicated in the invoice.

SUBJECTS RESIDENT IN ITALY:
We will send an annual certification report to use in your tax return.

SUBJECTS NON-RESIDENT IN ITALY:
If you meet the necessary requirements and if your country has entered into an agreement to avoid double taxation, you can request the refund of that amount. All information regarding the procedure to be followed can be found here:

https://www.agenziaentrate.gov.it/portale/web/english/nse/Individuals/Double%20taxation%20relief/Conventions%20for%20the%20avoidance%20of%20double%20taxation/?page=individuals

I can't really see anything illegal. I have read before that someone said, once you manage to get this done, it is plain sailing after that (but I have to admit, that I did not copy that particular post, it was somewhere on FB)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tektime and Italian taxes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »