Thread poster: Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:55
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Feb 26, 2020

In a different forum I've been reading that a certain CAT tool, which I'll call IHOST (I've Already seen that), is sometimes unable to export translated files in the current version—mostly XLIFF files—and that when this happens the previous and very old version, which some affectionate users still use and like to call "dinosaur" because of its age, is being used with success, thus proving to be more robust in certain cases despite lacking some modern features.

This is the
... See more
In a different forum I've been reading that a certain CAT tool, which I'll call IHOST (I've Already seen that), is sometimes unable to export translated files in the current version—mostly XLIFF files—and that when this happens the previous and very old version, which some affectionate users still use and like to call "dinosaur" because of its age, is being used with success, thus proving to be more robust in certain cases despite lacking some modern features.

This is the case indeed, because it happened to us too (well, to my wife to whom I passed IHOST), with the difference that the issue above for us was not limited to XLIFF files but occurred also with PowerPoint and Word files.

As a matter of fact, yesterday we experienced another of these shocking moments with the latest IHOST's version, but this time using the previous version didn't help. Result: about three hours spent without the least improvement and the delivery time looming.

Then the brilliant idea: let's see what CafeTran Espresso can do!

Fortunately, we could export the IHOST's TM in tmx format, that CafeTran Espresso opened immediately (without the need to convert it to a proprietary TM format) and with a much lower number of visible tags. After pre-translating the file and fixing something here and there... we could export the Word file, which opened beautifully. What a sweat!

Actually, this is the third time that CafeTran Espresso saved us from the "incompetence" of another CAT tool, that, mind you, I used to like a lot for more than a decade.

Therefore, long life to CafeTran Espresso's developer, and let's hope that he never stop having fun developing this beautiful piece of software (which I happen to criticize every now and then for certain "strange" way of doing things, although never for serious matters).

[Edited at 2020-02-26 09:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-26 10:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-26 10:49 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Jean Dimitriadis
Vadim Kadyrov

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Love letter ♥ Feb 26, 2020

Aliseo Japan wrote:

Therefore, long life to CafeTran Espresso's developer, and let's hope that he never stop having fun developing this beautiful piece of software (which I happen to criticize every now and then for certain "strange" way of doing things, although never for serious matters).

Hear, hear!

I'm still discovering useful (really useful!) features of CafeTran Espresso every day. My current personal favourite is the use of non-translatables to easily insert SI units, machine types, street names, company names, part numbers etc. But even more important: to run the QA for non-translatables, so that I don't forget any of them or (maybe even worse) make errors with them.

Anyway, working with CafeTran is a great joy, every working day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cafetran Espresso to the rescue, again!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »