Nicolas Gambardella
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:52
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
Feb 27, 2020

Hello,

I am handling larges Powerpoint documents created by OCR. The OCR inserted double spaces between each word. As a result, CTE creates one segment per word. Sorry for the probably elementary and naive question, how can I configure CTE so that it does not segment at double spaces, but keep the sentences complete?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:52
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Double spaces Feb 27, 2020

Hello Nicolas,

In the Dashboard, click the menu icon and select Preferences. Then, change segmentation from the default Sentence to Rules.srx and create a new project.

Alternatively if possible, you might search and replace double space with single space in Powerpoint before creating a new project with this document in CafeTran.

Nicolas Gambardella
Nicolas Gambardella
United Kingdom
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the suggestions Feb 27, 2020

Thanks Igor.

I have to learn the language to build rules before using them. I tested CTE rule editor and am none the wiser. I will definitely learn how do so. But not today since the project had ultra-tight deadlines.

I hoped to avoid fiddling with the PPTX beforehand because LibreOffice screws the layout quite a bit. And I actually have no idea of what the final document will look like on MS Powerpoint under Windows. But find/replace seems the quickest way for today.
... See more
Thanks Igor.

I have to learn the language to build rules before using them. I tested CTE rule editor and am none the wiser. I will definitely learn how do so. But not today since the project had ultra-tight deadlines.

I hoped to avoid fiddling with the PPTX beforehand because LibreOffice screws the layout quite a bit. And I actually have no idea of what the final document will look like on MS Powerpoint under Windows. But find/replace seems the quickest way for today. I just checked and indeed, CTE segmentation is much better.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Segmentation Feb 27, 2020

Regarding segmentation, since CafeTran supports the Segmentation Rules eXchange (SRX) format, you can also add other SRX files, such as the one OmegaT uses, the advantage being that it is already populated with various language-specific rules, so you don't have to tweak them much, if at all.

You can find some related information and s
... See more
Regarding segmentation, since CafeTran supports the Segmentation Rules eXchange (SRX) format, you can also add other SRX files, such as the one OmegaT uses, the advantage being that it is already populated with various language-specific rules, so you don't have to tweak them much, if at all.

You can find some related information and suggestions at: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/1-Preferences#segmentation
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No splitting Feb 27, 2020

For what it's worth: when I use my SRX file no_splitting_after_colons.srx, I get this result:

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 11.55.28

(You can send me a PM, if you want to test the SRX file.)

Another approach, that requires some fiddling, would be:

• Add .ZIP to the file name of the presentation.
  • Open the ZIP file in a file browser.
  • Navigate to the folder that contains the slides.
  • Open them in a UTF-compatible editor.
  • Replace all double spaces with single spaces.
  • Save and close all files.
  • Remove the '.zip' string from the file name of the presentation.

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 11.59.51

Nicolas Gambardella
Nicolas Gambardella
United Kingdom
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a winner Feb 27, 2020

Thanks Hans,

No need to rename the file since unzip knows (under Linux) that pptx are zip files (well, it should always know that but anyway...)

I did replace all the double spaces that way, and the result is perfect as expected. No messing of the text layout as with LO, and the file size is the same (of course) instead of double when saved with LO.

I would, of course, prefer to use the SRX path in the future.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
New feature? Feb 27, 2020

Nicolas Gambardella wrote:

I did replace all the double spaces that way, and the result is perfect as expected. No messing of the text layout as with LO, and the file size is the same (of course) instead of double when saved with LO.

I would, of course, prefer to use the SRX path in the future.

Good to hear!

On several occasions I've thought: it would be nice if the filter tab of the Project Configuration wizard would offer a way to have double spaces (and only double ones, not triple ones etc.) be replaced by single spaces.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments created at double-spaces

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »