Elena Volpato
Elena Volpato  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:41
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 18, 2020

Hello everybody,
I have been working on this Trados project (.sdlppx) with 7 documents on CafeTrans (full version).

I need to send the whole project back to the agency, but when I just upload the project file as it is, they can't open it. I guess this is because I just saved all the data on my computer and I didn't create a file that has the infos within itself.

So, I guess I need to export right?
How do I do that correctly?
I went Export and exchange>
... See more
Hello everybody,
I have been working on this Trados project (.sdlppx) with 7 documents on CafeTrans (full version).

I need to send the whole project back to the agency, but when I just upload the project file as it is, they can't open it. I guess this is because I just saved all the data on my computer and I didn't create a file that has the infos within itself.

I went Export and exchange>export all documents and nothing happened. The programm asked me to finalize the project and set all the segments to translated status (which I was dubious about, but did anyway, because this was an approval of the translation. I have been working in the "approve" mode).
Then it told me that all was saved. It didn't ask me where to save the file or to rename it.

Was that it? I don't think so, because I moved the file to another folder and CafeTrans wasn't able to open it anymore. So, again, I didn't create a file that can be sent to other people. Can you please explain how do I do that?

Second question:
Trado, MemoQ and Memsource have this "Revision" feature like the one in Microsoft Word where you can see the changes that have been made to the translation. The deleted part has a red line across it, and the new part is red.

Now, I need to see that in CafeTrans as well: is it possible? If yes, how?

Thank you so much!
Elena
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 18, 2020

Hello Elena,

V_Elena wrote:

Hello everybody,

I went Export and exchange>export all documents and nothing happened. The programm asked me to finalize the project and set all the segments to translated status (which I was dubious about, but did anyway, because this was an approval of the translation. I have been working in the "approve" mode).
Then it told me that all was saved. It didn't ask me where to save the file or to rename it.

Was that it? I don't think so, because I moved the file to another folder and CafeTrans wasn't able to open it anymore. So, again, I didn't create a file that can be sent to other people. Can you please explain how do I do that?

For SDL packages, you go to Project > Export and Exchange > To package > and you select if you want to export as a package or as a return package. If you only need to deliver to your project manager, Return package should be enough.

This is explained here: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000166523-project-file-formats-created-in-other-tools

The official knowledge base: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/

You will find some additional information on External projects here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#2-external-projects

---

Second question:
Trado, MemoQ and Memsource have this "Revision" feature like the one in Microsoft Word where you can see the changes that have been made to the translation. The deleted part has a red line across it, and the new part is red.

Thank you so much!
Elena

Sorry, I am a little busy, so I will leave that second part to other users.

My bests,

Jean

PS: For some reason, many people get the name wrong. It's CafeTran, not CafeTrans!

Elena Volpato
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question: how does the approve mode work? Nov 18, 2020

Thank you Jean and sorry if I butchered the name of the CAT tool!

I know I always add the extra "s" at the end.

May I add another question? I can't find the answer in the forum nor in the CafeTran website (maybe I'm not using the right wording).

Why does my project manager say that she still sees all the changes when I went on and approved every single segment?
How does the approval mode work? I simply switched from "Translate" to "Approve" in the lit
... See more
Thank you Jean and sorry if I butchered the name of the CAT tool!

I know I always add the extra "s" at the end.

May I add another question? I can't find the answer in the forum nor in the CafeTran website (maybe I'm not using the right wording).

Why does my project manager say that she still sees all the changes when I went on and approved every single segment?
How does the approval mode work? I simply switched from "Translate" to "Approve" in the little menu right underneath the translation area and went on adding all the segments to the memory using "Next" (or alt+down).

Why didn't it work?

[Edited at 2020-11-18 13:03 GMT]

I approved it

[Edited at 2020-11-18 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
+1 Nov 18, 2020

V_Elena wrote:

Second question:

See: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/339991-my_favourite_new_feature_in_2020.html

(It's not possible – Y.E.T.!!!!)

Elena Volpato

Elena Volpato
Germany
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hans Nov 18, 2020

Thank you Hans,
I commented under your original post that I need this feature too.
I hope more people will "up vote" it!

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Approve? Nov 18, 2020

V_Elena wrote:

How does the approval mode work? I simply switched from "Translate" to "Approve" in the little menu right underneath the translation area and went on adding all the segments to the memory using "Next" (or alt+down).

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you referring to tracked changes in the Studio files that you have to approve? If so, you cannot do this in CafeTran Espresso.

BTW: You can set all segments in the project to Approved in one run:

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 14.22.39

[Edited at 2020-11-18 13:25 GMT]

Elena Volpato

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Nov 18, 2020

Approved status in CafeTran is mapped to Translated status in SDL Trados.

If you don't want to apply that status to all segments, select No in the relevant Export dialog. You can selectively apply segment statuses via the Task menu to previously filtered segments.

But yes, you cannot use CafeTran as a reviewer for SDL Trados files. Changes are not tracked in the same way (although CafeTran does have a simple versionning system, which cannot be used for your purpose).... See more
Approved status in CafeTran is mapped to Translated status in SDL Trados.

If you don't want to apply that status to all segments, select No in the relevant Export dialog. You can selectively apply segment statuses via the Task menu to previously filtered segments.

But yes, you cannot use CafeTran as a reviewer for SDL Trados files. Changes are not tracked in the same way (although CafeTran does have a simple versionning system, which cannot be used for your purpose).

To learn more about SDL Trados statuses and CafeTran: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#sdl-trados-studio

Question. Have you used SDL Trados in the past? Can you access it, or at least install a demo version?

I think it would help you greatly to understand how things look and work from SDL Trados side.

You can also make some real tests to see for yourself what CafeTran can and cannot do with regards to SDL Trados files and packages.

Jean

[Edited at 2020-11-18 16:13 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions about exporting a multi-doc project and more features of CafeTrans

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »