Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 14:40
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 13, 2013

Hi everyone,

A client has asked me to translate his website. There are a lot of pages and side documents, and I don't want to miss any content. Would you happen to know any software that could spare me the hassle of copy/pasting every sentence on Word?

Thanks!

Alain

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Any CAT-tool... Dec 13, 2013

... can handle HTML and XML files.
Ask for source files.
OR rip the site using HTTRack tool.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Cats Cradle Dec 13, 2013

Check if this will work for you:
http://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/overview.htm

They used to have a limited-time free demo.

In order to download the site itself, HTTrack may be useful:
http://www.httrack.com/

Just keep i
... See more
Check if this will work for you:
http://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/overview.htm

They used to have a limited-time free demo.

In order to download the site itself, HTTrack may be useful:
http://www.httrack.com/

Just keep in mind that Cats Cradle will not touch the site structure, links etc., keeping them unchanged. To make it clear, if you upload the translated web site as-is, your translation will overwrite the entire site. IMHO this is not the translator's job; it requires a web master/developer to structure the site with its translation.
Collapse

Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTTrack! Dec 13, 2013

HTTrack is what I was looking for Thank you!

Alain

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Modus operandi Dec 14, 2013

Here's how I translate websites. I do everything in Word and it's up to THE CLIENT to do any fiddly time-consuming donkey work (copy paste, uploading, DTP, formatting, etc). Or they can outsource it to someone else.

I tried working with HTML once and it took far too long, but as Sergei says, most CAT tools can handle HTML and XML, etc.

[Edited at 2013-12-14 10:00 GMT]

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Do a test Dec 14, 2013

Translate one or two pages and ask your client if he can upload this.

If the website is not made in static html but in some kind of content management system (CMS), downloading the site will be of no use. In that case, ask for an output un Word, Excel or .txt. The webmaster should be able to give you more information.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Just learning about tags and other code is helpful Dec 14, 2013

You don't even need to know the meaning of individual tags, although such knowledge gives you more insight into the context. What you need is first of all the knowledge what to translate and what not to translate, as in you don't want to end up having translated normal function parameters but only text strings that are actually going to be displayed for visitors to see.

You won't normally be downloading pages for translation, anyway, your client will always give you an export in som
... See more
You don't even need to know the meaning of individual tags, although such knowledge gives you more insight into the context. What you need is first of all the knowledge what to translate and what not to translate, as in you don't want to end up having translated normal function parameters but only text strings that are actually going to be displayed for visitors to see.

You won't normally be downloading pages for translation, anyway, your client will always give you an export in some form, especially if an SQL database is involved (as is usually the case).
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:40
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
CMS content Dec 14, 2013

Don't forget that the website you see in your browser often bears little resemblence to the source files on the web server, which often comprise a content management system that assembles the web pages on the fly from a database. For this reason I usually ask the client to supply the text in Word documents and it's then the webmaster's job to insert the translation into the right place.

Olaf Schutze (X)

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:40
Russian to English
+ ...
Have you heard of Easyling? Dec 15, 2013

You could always try Easyling (www.easyling.com) - a website translation tool. They have a free trial period available.

Séverine torralba
Séverine torralba  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
For Mac? Dec 26, 2017

Any software that would work on a Mac?
Thanks!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
The best tools for Mac Dec 26, 2017

Séverine T wrote:

Any software that would work on a Mac?
Thanks!

Best CAT tool for Mac: CafeTran Espresso 2018, Forerunner version, www.cafetran.com

Reviews: https://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/tool/cafetran_espresso/97

Best tool to download websites on Mac: SiteSucker (what's in a name ...)

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 14.43.42

[Edited at 2017-12-26 15:53 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
The best tool for Mac… Dec 26, 2017

…as well as for any other platform is OmegaT.

Alexia OLONA

Daniel Garneau
Daniel Garneau
Canada
Local time: 08:40
English to French
Notepad++ Jan 30, 2018

I own a trilingual WordPress Web Site hosted on my own domain. I would much rather have the translation work not transit through Microsoft Word, as it might add some code to the html pages that lie behind all the text displayed on my web site. So here is what I do when I translate from one language to another:
1. I go to my WordPress Editor.
2. I enter a source language page needing to be translated.
3. I switch from WYSIWYG to html view.
4. I copy and paste the text an
... See more
I own a trilingual WordPress Web Site hosted on my own domain. I would much rather have the translation work not transit through Microsoft Word, as it might add some code to the html pages that lie behind all the text displayed on my web site. So here is what I do when I translate from one language to another:
1. I go to my WordPress Editor.
2. I enter a source language page needing to be translated.
3. I switch from WYSIWYG to html view.
4. I copy and paste the text and its codes into NotePad++, a text editor that does not corrupt the original format of any text I place in it, and that has some very useful properties to help me see exactly what is going on, like distinguishing between content texts and html codes.
5. I save the file providing it with an .html extension and insert it into OmegaT's Source file directory.
6. I translate the file from within OmegaT.
7. Once I am finished, I create the translated document.
8. I then copy the result within the WordPress html editor.

This approach is much easier to do than this list makes it appear, and there are no glitches introduced into the resulting web page on my site.

[Modifié le 2018-01-30 02:39 GMT]

[Modifié le 2018-01-30 12:47 GMT]
Collapse

Alexia OLONA

scanning and in-context translation using Text United Jan 31, 2019

Another approach is to use www.textunited.com (30 days free trial) and to scan and translate website within an in-context editor. You will have to send a java snippet to be installed on the server and the snippet requires a subscription to Text United. But this is a hassle-free, easy approach which will help you to translate a website or on-line shop with high quality fast.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »