How to get into translation work without references
Thread poster: Sally Ann Richardson
Sally Ann Richardson
Sally Ann Richardson
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 25, 2021

Is it possible to get into translation work without a referee? Would becoming a volunteer translator be a good way of obtaining industry references? Any advice would be most welcome. My languages are Spanish, Portuguese and French > English.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Feb 25, 2021

Profesora66 wrote:
Is it possible to get into translation work without references?

Yes, it's no problem. But you have to put in an effort to impress potential clients.

Dan Lucas
Sheila Wilson
Jorge Payan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You are selling your own skills and service, and this does not depend on references Feb 25, 2021

What clients are really looking for is what you can do for them, not who you know.

A good reference may help, but before anyone asks for a reference (if they do), they have to find you and feel you are capable of translating their documents or whatever into the kind of English they need.

What subject areas do you really know about, and what experience do you have? Don't forget hobbies here, if there is anything you are an expert on and passionate about.

Ask
... See more
What clients are really looking for is what you can do for them, not who you know.

A good reference may help, but before anyone asks for a reference (if they do), they have to find you and feel you are capable of translating their documents or whatever into the kind of English they need.

What subject areas do you really know about, and what experience do you have? Don't forget hobbies here, if there is anything you are an expert on and passionate about.

Asking for references and waiting for answers takes time, which clients don't always have. Fill in your profile and make yourself visible in your own right.
Check out some agencies on the Blue Board that have good comments as well as 5-ratings, and send them a CV. Try to fit into the kinds of work they say they do - and if it is 'not you', then try a different agency. Most will not answer, but some might, so keep trying!

I go for the smaller ones, for a variety of reasons - they are often less bound by rigid rules.

There is a lot of competition, so you have to stand out.

Use your network by all means to find clients who are looking for what you have to offer, but don't worry if you don't have references. Freelancing is very different from being employed - you will work for several different clients each month, and perhaps every week. There simply is not time to get - or give - references for every new client.

Good luck!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Ottavia Merlin
Adieu
Lisa Tremblay

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
References are usually a very small part of the selection process Feb 26, 2021

It is a selection process. I suggest you look at the numerous posts made by Sheila Wilson over the years in response to questions put by those starting out in the translation field.
I would make two unrelated suggestions:-

1. Use your real name in your ProZ profile, and not a pseudonym. Potential clients will then be more inclined to take you seriously.
2. Do not offer translation both ways (ES>EN and En>ES). Even if you were brought up bilingual, you will have a prefere
... See more
It is a selection process. I suggest you look at the numerous posts made by Sheila Wilson over the years in response to questions put by those starting out in the translation field.
I would make two unrelated suggestions:-

1. Use your real name in your ProZ profile, and not a pseudonym. Potential clients will then be more inclined to take you seriously.
2. Do not offer translation both ways (ES>EN and En>ES). Even if you were brought up bilingual, you will have a preference or strength. Promote the one you prefer (Not everyone agrees with this point).

I have only ever been asked for references once.
Collapse

Barbara Turchetto
Sarah Maidstone

Sally Ann Richardson
Sally Ann Richardson
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to get into translation work without references Feb 26, 2021

Thank you to those who have replied - your tips are very useful. However, if you are required to send a CV to a company in response to an advertisement, do you simply leave out references and allow your qualifications to speak for themselves?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
References Feb 26, 2021

I never give references, for reasons of confidentiality (signed NDAs). When I’m asked for references by a potential client I give them a link to my profile and my WWA. That should do it.

matt robinson
philgoddard
Morano El-Kholy
Adieu

Sally Ann Richardson
Sally Ann Richardson
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to get into translation work without references Feb 26, 2021

Thank you so much everyone for the advice. I need to start reading up on everything!

William Bowley
William Bowley
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Go for it Feb 26, 2021

Matt makes two solid points, particularly the one about the username - I don't see why anyone would 'hide' behind a username when you want to advertise your services and this is a prominent platform on which to do so, so I'd get that changed.

Asking for references seems to be such a common practice that I'm sure that most people who ask for them are doing so to tick boxes rather than out of actual necessity. As others have mentioned in this thread, there are several reasons why prov
... See more
Matt makes two solid points, particularly the one about the username - I don't see why anyone would 'hide' behind a username when you want to advertise your services and this is a prominent platform on which to do so, so I'd get that changed.

Asking for references seems to be such a common practice that I'm sure that most people who ask for them are doing so to tick boxes rather than out of actual necessity. As others have mentioned in this thread, there are several reasons why providing them is not usually feasible (NDAs/confidentiality, competition, time, practicality, and so on). References, while they may be useful, are not as important as other aspects such as furthering your skills, improving profile(s), marketing, networking and so on.

The way you present yourself given your experience is also important. Assuming that you haven't got much translation experience, look for ways of highlighting your key skills and aspects of your teaching experience that may be transferable, as well as your overall linguistic ability and qualifications.

Some agencies require translation tests and, whilst care is advised with these (i.e. a short text that doesn't raise any red flags of being a real job in disguise), these provide an opportunity to show your ability and get on an agency's books without necessarily having to jump through all the other hoops or tick all the boxes.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get into translation work without references

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »