Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sorry! Sep 6, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

Shutting PC down and then restarting all programs and docs is a mess

What is the mess? I have 3 machines and turn them off when I go to bed, and turn them on first thing in the morning, take a shower, have my breakfast, etc, and when I am ready, my computer is too.

So to be frankly, I don't see the problem.

We are all entitled to different views and opinions and, sorry, but I don't hail your opinions and views as absolute truth.

????

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:00
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Hibernate or sleep? Sep 6, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

My PC has developed a frightening habit: it keeps randomly waking up on its own from hibernation. Usually it occurs in the morning but sometimes in the night. Very unpleasant experience. Maybe somebody knows how to stop this practice?

Are you sure the computer is actually hibernated? It sounds like "Sleep" rather than "Hibernate".

When a Windows computer is in "Sleep" state it is still on, but in a quiet state with most programs idling. It is still drawing a low level of power, however. I think various applications can awaken the computer from "Sleep" state.

When it is in "Hibernate" state it is truly powered off and all active data has been stored to a special folder on the hard drive, ready for quick reloading when woken manually from the "Hibernate" state. No programs are running that can awaken the computer.

[Edited at 2017-09-06 12:49 GMT]

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:00
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alas, Sep 6, 2017

John Fossey wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

My PC has developed a frightening habit: it keeps randomly waking up on its own from hibernation. Usually it occurs in the morning but sometimes in the night. Very unpleasant experience. Maybe somebody knows how to stop this practice?

Are you sure the computer is actually hibernated? It sounds like "Sleep" rather than "Hibernate".

When a Windows computer is in "Sleep" state it is still on, but in a quiet state with most programs idling. It is still drawing a low level of power, however. I think various applications can awaken the computer from "Sleep" state.

When it is in "Hibernate" state it is truly powered off and all active data has been stored to a special folder on the hard drive, ready for quick reloading when woken manually from the "Hibernate" state. No programs are running that can awaken the computer.

[Edited at 2017-09-06 12:49 GMT]

my PC is actually hibernated and, as far as I understand, no programs are running when in hibernating mode. I don't believe that it can be waken up through any physical impact or a running program; maybe there exist an invisible maintenance program. Internet sites give no clear answer to this problem, too. I am very busy right now and believe that my computer guy might spend a lot of time trying to solve this mystery. Seems that I must relax and allow the poltergeist to do what it pleases.

[Edited at 2017-09-06 13:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-06 13:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-09-06 13:09 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
TV Sep 6, 2017

I'd keep an eye on the TV too, just in case, Maija. Especially if you walk in at dead of night and there's a little girl sitting on the floor staring at all the static.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 6, 2017

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I'd keep an eye on the TV too, just in case, Maija. Especially if you walk in at dead of night and there's a little girl sitting on the floor staring at all the static.

you made my day.
I must consider keeping an eye on my microvawe oven, robot vacuum cleaner, dishwasher and washing machine, too. A full-time job, you know.

[Edited at 2017-09-06 13:30 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Maija Sep 7, 2017

And what the system events log says?

Perhaps, cleaning would make it a little easier to read and check relevant triggers.

[Edited at 2017-09-07 11:04 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
Member (2004)
English to Italian
you'd be surprised... Sep 7, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

you made my day.
I must consider keeping an eye on my microvawe oven, robot vacuum cleaner, dishwasher and washing machine, too. A full-time job, you know.

My mother's TV started coming on in the middle of the night... she used to leave in standby... she was never able to solve the problem in standby... only turning the TV completely off stopped it...

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Woe is me Sep 7, 2017

DZiW wrote:

Perhaps, cleaning would make it a little easier to read and check relevant triggers.

I am so dumb I have no idea where an event log is located and how it should be cleaned. No, my endeavours to fix a minor inconvenience could end in disaster.

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The same here Sep 7, 2017

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

you made my day.

My mother's TV started coming on in the middle of the night... she used to leave in standby... she was never able to solve the problem in standby... only turning the TV completely off stopped it...

My TV switched on by itself a couple of times but this occurred after a power outage. Hmmm but maybe this is the case with PC too? It wakes up after a short interruption in power supply?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
No power interruption... Sep 8, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

My TV switched on by itself a couple of times but this occurred after a power outage. Hmmm but maybe this is the case with PC too? It wakes up after a short interruption in power supply?

in my mother's case... but it was baffling indeed...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Activity Monitor Sep 8, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

DZiW wrote:

I am so dumb I have no idea where an event log is located and how it should be cleaned. No, my endeavours to fix a minor inconvenience could end in disaster.

The MacOS has a thing called Activity Monitor where you can see everything your computer is doing. Surely there is something similar for PC?

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PCs have activitity log or what's it's name Sep 8, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Maija Cirule wrote:

DZiW wrote:

The MacOS has a thing called Activity Monitor where you can see everything your computer is doing. Surely there is something similar for PC?

but I am so dumb that cannot find it. Of course, if this was a crucial issue, I would find it but in this case I simply don't want to waste my time as seeing all of my PC actions would be like seeing a text in mandarin.

Anyway, thanks for your concern and convey my good wishes to your cat:)

[Edited at 2017-09-08 16:20 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
BIOS configuration Sep 8, 2017

There are some BIOS settings that could explain this.

BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, the very FIRST thing your computer reads after being powered up from the completely powered-down state.

You don't mention whether it's an AC-only powered desktop or a notebook having its own battery.

Among the numerous BIOS settings, some are decisions on what should/shouldn't "wake up" the computer from hibernation, slumber, sleepwalking, or other inactive stat
... See more

BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, the very FIRST thing your computer reads after being powered up from the completely powered-down state.

You don't mention whether it's an AC-only powered desktop or a notebook having its own battery.

Among the numerous BIOS settings, some are decisions on what should/shouldn't "wake up" the computer from hibernation, slumber, sleepwalking, or other inactive state. Some are keyboard/mouse actions, however others relate to network signals.

So it is POSSIBLE that a blink in the signal from your ISP, or even your router will wake up your computer. If your e-mail program was left open, an incoming e-mail could wake it up. A Skype flip could do it, too, e.g. no to notify that a contact has gone online or offline, depending on the settings.

As you are admittedly no expert in computers, and a slip in the BIOS setup could render your entire computer out of order, I'd suggest you get some expert check your BIOS setup.

This requires no computer programming genius (in fact, some programming geniuses will know squat about it), just someone used to assemble and set up PCs.

[Edited at 2017-09-08 19:16 GMT]
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Sep 9, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Among the numerous BIOS settings, some are decisions on what should/shouldn't "wake up" the computer from hibernation, slumber, sleepwalking, or other inactive state. Some are keyboard/mouse actions, however others relate to network signals.

So it is POSSIBLE that a blink in the signal from your ISP, or even your router will wake up your computer. If your e-mail program was left open, an incoming e-mail could wake it up. A Skype flip could do it, too, e.g. no to notify that a contact has gone online or offline, depending on the settings.

As you are admittedly no expert in computers, and a slip in the BIOS setup could render your entire computer out of order, I'd suggest you get some expert check your BIOS setup.

This requires no computer programming genius (in fact, some programming geniuses will know squat about it), just someone used to assemble and set up PCs.

[Edited at 2017-09-08 19:16 GMT]

I have a desktop computer connected to mains through UPS and I know what is BIOS (ironically, many moons ago I used to translate various software design documents including systems descriptions so I know IT terminology but am unable to use my knowledge in real life, i.e., I am a so-called learned idiot). Given the above-described reason, I dare not to mess with BIOS (have done this twice and the results had a doomsday effect). I cooperate with a computer guru but right now he is on vacation far away. For now, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope it works.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Guru, No Method, No Teacher (with apologies to Van Morrison) Sep 9, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

.... I cooperate with a computer guru but right now he is on vacation far away...

I used to work as an external consultant to a design company that used a lot of PCs.

I once chatted to their computer guru when there was nobody else around.

He frankly admitted to me that every time he came in to service the company's PCs, he would insert a deliberate glitch, set to trigger on a date set by him, requiring the company to call him in. Nice work if you can get it!

He was able to get away with doing that because nobody actually knows what a computer guru does.

So if/when you adopt the MacOS you can kiss your computer guru goodbye. You won't need him.

And don't ask for his advice about adopting the MacOS (because it will make him redundant!). When you have a computer that never gives you any problems or if it ever does, that you can't resolve yourself or with the help of the Mac gurus on the discussion forums, why would you need a computer guru?

[Edited at 2017-09-09 08:53 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a poltergeist?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »