Browsing off-line
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
French to English
Jul 3, 2001

When you have to prepare a quote and/or translate the text of a whole web site, staying connected for ages to download the whole thing can be expensive and time-consuming. I discovered off-line browsers a couple of years ago and swear by them now.

In French, they are referred to as \"aspirateurs de sites web\" (web site hoovers) and in English \"off-line browsers\". What they enable you to do is to capture the whole of the site (incl. sound, photos, videos) if you wish, alth
... See more
When you have to prepare a quote and/or translate the text of a whole web site, staying connected for ages to download the whole thing can be expensive and time-consuming. I discovered off-line browsers a couple of years ago and swear by them now.

In French, they are referred to as \"aspirateurs de sites web\" (web site hoovers) and in English \"off-line browsers\". What they enable you to do is to capture the whole of the site (incl. sound, photos, videos) if you wish, although you can filter out bits you don\'t want. Once it\'s on your hard drive you can do what you like with it.

For those of you who already know about these, then you can pass \"GO\" and move onto the next question. I am often surprised however, at just how little known these things are and considering their relativley low cost USD 50-100, they are a godsend.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 6, 2001

Where Can I find an off-line browser? I didn\'t know about them!

Regards

Clarisa
[addsig]

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 15:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
WebCopier Nov 3, 2001

...is one of them and you can download its free trial version from www.maximumsoft.com

[addsig]

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
WebCapture from Acrobat 4 and 5 Feb 4, 2002

WebCapture from Acrobat 4 and 5 (the full version, not the Reader)also allows you to save a whole site or part of it (you decide how many levels of links to include) as PDF, in a very neat way. Any links not included in the PDF are retained as URL links, which you access online and add to your saved pdf file.

allys
allys  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
New approach - try caching proxy-server Feb 25, 2002

I’d like to offer a new approach to this issue using caching proxy-server. I can’t say I am satisfied with off-line browsers – I am lazy and I don’t want to start one more application. Caching proxy-server gives you more sophisticated solution - it starts at the beginning of your Windows session and caches everything you retrieved via browser.

I can recommend you this one: Smart Cache 0.64 (now there is newer version available)
... See more
I’d like to offer a new approach to this issue using caching proxy-server. I can’t say I am satisfied with off-line browsers – I am lazy and I don’t want to start one more application. Caching proxy-server gives you more sophisticated solution - it starts at the beginning of your Windows session and caches everything you retrieved via browser.

I can recommend you this one: Smart Cache 0.64 (now there is newer version available) at http://home.worldonline.cz/~cz210552/.

Read through the help files (not much time) to know how to configure (5 minutes work – if you have problems I can help you) and use it. When you have browsed enough and obtained all you need log off from Internet and continue browsing – all pages you have looked through on your machine is stored locally on your hard drive.

It is free and saves money!

One thing more – you should have Java installed to use Smart Cache 0.64.

Enjoy happy fast and inexpensive browsing – as I do!

Best regards,

Alexander
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
French to English
Dangerous!! Feb 25, 2002

I would advise against translators downloading a Web site to quote on it. You may include pages that aren\'t supposed to be translated or not include those that are.

It\'s best to have the client/potential client send you the files (whether for quotation or translation) along with a list of the filenames. This is especially useful if there are lots of files.

FWIW,

Erika

neilmac

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 23:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
HTTrack Jan 31, 2021

HTTrack is free, cross-platform, and probably works no worse than any other software.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I feel your pain Jan 31, 2021

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote (in 2001):

When you have to prepare a quote and/or translate the text of a whole web site, staying connected for ages to download the whole thing can be expensive and time-consuming.

.. and it is indeed time-consuming, especially with telephones with a rotary dial not able to carry an acoustic coupler. But today (2001) we have advanced 56 k modems to display the main page of a website in less than 10 minutes. Afterwards, you may save them as a pdf, print it out with your dot matrix printer (I recommend a K6313 printer made by Robotron) and type (or write by hand, which is sometimes quicker than typing it with a mechanical typewriter) your translation directly on your fax paper, to send it to the customer. I'm sure Lincoln will confirm my approach.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-31 10:22 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
If I could turn back time Jan 31, 2021

Back in 2001, I simply printed out the Internet once and put it into a neat folder. That saved me tons of data fees. But like Lincoln, it often took me years to pick up on certain threads and reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browsing off-line

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »