Do you use Skype?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:44
Italian to English
Skype for teaching languages Dec 8, 2016

I was thinking about using Skype to teach English, however it seems there are programs which offer better quality connection, such as Zoom. I must say I gave up using it for calls due to that reason - the audio and stability of the connection was dire.
In business terms I prefer to communicate via email, it means I have a written record of all communication with customers.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Don't Skype me Dec 8, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

..... I'm wondering in retrospect why they didn't use Skype.

You'd better not skype me then. I haven't shaved today and I recently lost one of my front teeth.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:44
English to German
+ ...
Not a slave to Skype Dec 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Do you use telephone? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use dishwasher? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use TV-set? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use Facebook? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use Viber? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use ICQ? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use Google? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use CAT-tool? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use smartphone? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use door bell? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?
Do you use fridge? I don't. Doesn't it waste a lot of time?

Do you use articles? Apparently not those either.

Personally I prefer not to interrupt whatever I'm doing with phone calls or Skype calls. Email is good because I reply when I want to/need to. Phone calls waste time. I don't need to talk to my clients, any more than they need to talk to me. This has never been a problem.

[Edited at 2016-12-07 14:53 GMT]

I prefer emails as well; Fiona brought up a good point there as well. And the Skype thing seems like you are expected to be available for Skype calls all the time and I know it's cheaper for cheap agencies but I don't care for those anyway.

[Edited at 2016-12-08 15:27 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Easy Dec 8, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
There is a program called MultiSkype Launcher from the G-Recorder company that allows you to keep one Skype account for personal calls and one for business calls. MultiSkype Launcher is abandonware, so you may have to google a bit.

Simply edit the command line, and launch as many instances as you need from the same desktop shortcut.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
simply... Dec 8, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Skype is just adware now. And with a Mac there is no way to block the ads. I don't even know why I have Skype on my computer. I could just trash it.

Add the following two lines to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and you will never see ads in Skype:

127.0.0.1 rad.msn.com
127.0.0.1 apps.skype.com

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Read what I wrote Dec 8, 2016

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
Skype is just adware now. And with a Mac there is no way to block the ads. I don't even know why I have Skype on my computer. I could just trash it.

Add the following two lines to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and you will never see ads in Skype:

127.0.0.1 rad.msn.com
127.0.0.1 apps.skype.com

I said "with a Mac there is no way to block the ads".

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Skype Dec 9, 2016

I never try to add my clients to my Skype contacts. If they do, I always accept their request.

My clients do not call me on Skype unless we arrange a call on beforehand. This only happens when the instructions are too complicated.

Once one of my clients called me on my mobile phone during the night to ask me to resend a file that they couldn't download from the platform I had uploaded it to. They appologised, but there was no need, really, as it only happened once, and
... See more
I never try to add my clients to my Skype contacts. If they do, I always accept their request.

My clients do not call me on Skype unless we arrange a call on beforehand. This only happens when the instructions are too complicated.

Once one of my clients called me on my mobile phone during the night to ask me to resend a file that they couldn't download from the platform I had uploaded it to. They appologised, but there was no need, really, as it only happened once, and for very valid reason.

Skype and phones are tools. You can use them or abuse them.

99.99% of my communications are by email. The more the client knows me the less words are exchanged in our email communications.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
... nothing left to be added: Dec 9, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
Emoticons and LOLs do waste a lot of time

Lol! 👍

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, BUT... Dec 10, 2016

I use it mainly to call my family in the UK more cheaply from Spain, as well as other landline calls.

I don't normally use Skype for contact with clients, but I do use it to communicate with a handful of translator/proofreader colleagues/friends. The skype chat function is handy for discussing changes to texts, collaborating on researching terms, etc. in real time rather than by successive e-mails.

And the camera doesn't need to be turned on unless you really want to se
... See more
I use it mainly to call my family in the UK more cheaply from Spain, as well as other landline calls.

I don't normally use Skype for contact with clients, but I do use it to communicate with a handful of translator/proofreader colleagues/friends. The skype chat function is handy for discussing changes to texts, collaborating on researching terms, etc. in real time rather than by successive e-mails.

And the camera doesn't need to be turned on unless you really want to see each other.

(holidayspirit)

[Edited at 2016-12-10 12:19 GMT]

PS: And you can't copy and paste Skype emojis into proz.... so we're safe for now...

[Edited at 2016-12-10 12:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-10 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

Maria De Rose
Maria De Rose  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:44
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, I do Dec 12, 2016

I usually skype with the agencies, but we don't use it to speak verbally. We use it in order to get quick communications across, furthermore in most of my translation work I work in a team with other translators and we chat through a Group, with regards to terminology and I find it is fantastic and efficient.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use Skype?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »