How to work switching between two computers constantly
Thread poster: Matheus Chaud
Irene McClure
Irene McClure
Local time: 19:58
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Erik May 16, 2019

Yes, I thought it was probably something I had wrongly configured! Good to know for the future, thanks for the tip.

Another recurring problem was a very slight lag on the TeamViewer connection compared to working directly on my desktop, despite fibre optic connections at both ends. Just enough to be noticeable and very frustrating!

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
A WiFi issue? May 16, 2019

Irene McClure wrote:

Another recurring problem was a very slight lag on the TeamViewer connection compared to working directly on my desktop, despite fibre optic connections at both ends.

Maybe the the WiFi connection was the wrongdoer. I don't see any reason why one should ever use a WiFi connection for work within an office. Use an Ethernet cable instead.

Another possible reason is, that Teamviewer - under certain conditions resp settings - routes your data traffic through a server operated by Teamviewer's supplier and located anywhere in the world. This slows down anything and might be a security issue.

(I use Windows' built-in RDP, it's free, can reconnect automatically and doesn't need any person at the main PC's side. And it's secure, because I route it via Windows' built-in SSH server.)

robinp
robinp
Hungary
Don't spread work May 16, 2019

I agree with others in either using TeamViewer (so using your laptop as a dump terminal), or just using a laptop (with backups... though you need backups on your main computer as well). The third option would be cloud-only, but that might not be realistic for your usecase.

Using two computers becomes a nightmare fast. Programs and files will get out of sync.

Matheus Chaud
Matheus Chaud  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 17, 2019

Oksana,

Yes, I intend to keep my current laptop as a backup computer. It's quite convenient, since it already has all the software I need.
I know what you mean - I have also experienced a similar situation. My hard drive crashed. The technician managed to recover most of the information, and I had a backup from a couple of days before, but having a spare computer is quite convenient in those situations.

Irene and robinp,

Thanks for sharing your
... See more
Oksana,

Yes, I intend to keep my current laptop as a backup computer. It's quite convenient, since it already has all the software I need.
I know what you mean - I have also experienced a similar situation. My hard drive crashed. The technician managed to recover most of the information, and I had a backup from a couple of days before, but having a spare computer is quite convenient in those situations.

Irene and robinp,

Thanks for sharing your experience too. This kind of information made me more confident about my choice. I chose using a single laptop 😃
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
Why the lid open? Jan 17, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
So, when you're at home, you open the laptop a quarter of the way and let it stand on its edge (e.g. next to or behind the monitor), and use an external mouse, keyboard and monitor.

I'm curious as to what you mean by leaving it open a quarter of the way. If you connect it to an external monitor, wouldn't you just run it with the lid closed?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Laptop users often use the lid as a handy power switch Jan 17, 2020

[quote]Timothy Barton wrote:

I'm curious as to what you mean by leaving it open a quarter of the way. If you connect it to an external monitor, wouldn't you just run it with the lid closed?

Closing the lid will/may put the laptop into a sleep or low-power state. Depends on certain settings.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Clone Jan 17, 2020

Matheus Chaud wrote:

Hi everyone!

I intend to buy a new computer soon, and then I'll have a desktop and a laptop. I still need the laptop to work outside for about 1 hour almost everyday, but I intend to work on the desktop most of the time.

My questions are:

1) What's the easiest way to manage files between both computers, considering I'll be away from home 1 hour almost every day? Cloud storage?

2) Does anyone use Microsoft OneDrive?
My internet connection is not that good (30 Mbps). I'm afraid this could slow down my work significantly, especially considering that I currently access files on a local SSD. Do you think the process of accessing TMs and TBs at OneDrive would be much slower than local access to SSD? Does anyone have any experience with that?

3) Any tips?

Thank you for your attention!

I used to do this on a weekly basis when I was teaching 2 days a week.

I simply cloned my desktop to my laptop, went to the university with my laptop and worked on it for 2 days, then came back and cloned my laptop back to my desktop. Seamless and quick.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work switching between two computers constantly

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »