Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:09
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2018

From the packaging of a new external DVD drive made in China:

"Do not put the machine on the vulnerable to the foreign press in place, to ensure that the machine function."

Another version from the so-called manual:

"Don' t put the machines on the vulnerable to squeeze place, to ensure normal machine use."

An autocrat could perhaps be vulnerable to the foreign press, so I'll take care not to place the device on such a person. If someone placed
... See more
From the packaging of a new external DVD drive made in China:

"Do not put the machine on the vulnerable to the foreign press in place, to ensure that the machine function."

Another version from the so-called manual:

"Don' t put the machines on the vulnerable to squeeze place, to ensure normal machine use."

An autocrat could perhaps be vulnerable to the foreign press, so I'll take care not to place the device on such a person. If someone placed a DVD drive on his head, he could get annoyed and throw the device to the floor, following which it would most likely not function. Very logical.

In case the device is sensitive to external pressure, I won't place a 1,000-page dictionary on it either.

Fortunately a DVD drive isn't difficult to use.

At least most of it seems to have been spellchecked. There's always a silver lining. The device even works.

[Edited at 2018-10-02 16:18 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Iris Schmerda
Jean Dimitriadis
Christophe Delaunay
Noni Gilbert Riley
Kang Seok Lee

Eliza Hall
Eliza Hall
United States
Local time: 13:09
French to English
+ ...
Your interpretation seems sound :) Oct 2, 2018

I completely agree. Actually I see no other way to interpret that.

Kang Seok Lee

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Squeeze Oct 2, 2018

I'm quite vulnerable to squeezing, but it all depends on who is doing the squeezing!

Cetacea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vulnerable to the foreign press

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »