How to find translation jobs in literature?
Thread poster: Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski
Teresa Woischiski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
English to German
+ ...
Dec 18, 2015

Hello everyone,

I have become a freelance translator this February. Since I have studied English/American literature, I would like to specialize in that. Any ideas on how to get started in this field?

All infos about it would be appreciated, also experiences from translators with this specialization.

Thanks very much,

Teresa

Askar Usin

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:08
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
From one Teresa to another Dec 18, 2015

I wonder if this is of any interest to you: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/home/creative-europe/actions/culture/literary-translation_en

Askar Usin

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Teresa Dec 18, 2015

Thanks a lot, I will have a look

Josephine Gardiner
Josephine Gardiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try this... Dec 19, 2015

Hello Teresa,
You might be interested in joining the Emerging Translators Network, which is for people interested in literary translation. https://emergingtranslatorsnetwork.wordpress.com/ (You have to send them an email first).

I think it is mainly for translation into English, but not exclusively, and the group is very active, with people posting links about course
... See more
Hello Teresa,
You might be interested in joining the Emerging Translators Network, which is for people interested in literary translation. https://emergingtranslatorsnetwork.wordpress.com/ (You have to send them an email first).

I think it is mainly for translation into English, but not exclusively, and the group is very active, with people posting links about courses, articles, meetings, news, and even the occasional job.
Collapse

Askar Usin
allthingsgo

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Dec 20, 2015

Thanks very much, J. Gardiner, I will have a look now

bouskilar
bouskilar
France
Translations Jul 19, 2016

Hi,
I read your post and i'm interested because i'm a novelist. I already need of a translator.
Sincerely,

Askar Usin

Teresa Woischiski
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please get in touch via email Jul 20, 2016

Dear bouskilar,

thanks for your reply. Please get in touch via [email protected], if you are interested in a translation. I would be happy to talk more about it.

Best regards,
Teresa Woischiski

Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
There are two ways Feb 27, 2019

1. Friends;
2. Being ready to live a life of a hermit in a small 9 square meter apartment because you wouldn't be able to afford anything else, considering how much money you earn.

Come, people - you want to be creative, you do it free of charge. There are no creative jobs. These are antonyms.

allthingsgo

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not very profitable oxy morons in literature Feb 28, 2019

Teresa, while Egor may be not aware of rewriting, copywriting, transcreation and creative approaches even in Germany, he is talking that--
DZiW wrote:

I think that literary translation is one of the most difficult yet a low-paid job, because it requires very broad and deep related skills and knowledge whereas there's very little help from colleagues, CATs, glossaries, and the rest. At least, I would not consider literary translation as a principal earner, let alone for beginners.

What are you, besides a translator?
Do you know how to deal with copyright owners properly? Could you?
How about writing blogs, essays and books in your native language?
Any biz exp or related contacts?

acitu poland

acitu poland
acitu poland
Austria
copywriting May 8, 2020

DZiW wrote:

Teresa, while Egor may be not aware of rewriting, copywriting, transcreation and creative approaches even in Germany, he is talking that--
DZiW wrote:

I think that literary translation is one of the most difficult yet a low-paid job, because it requires very broad and deep related skills and knowledge whereas there's very little help from colleagues, CATs, glossaries, and the rest. At least, I would not consider literary translation as a principal earner, let alone for beginners.

What are you, besides a translator?
Do you know how to deal with copyright owners properly? Could you?
How about writing blogs, essays and books in your native language?
Any biz exp or related contacts?

I just recently discovered copywriting

[Edited at 2020-05-08 17:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find translation jobs in literature?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »