Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:04
Romanian to English
+ ...
May 17, 2016

Man Booker International 2016 announced:
http://themanbookerprize.com/international

Deborah Smith was monolingual until the age of 21. Deciding to become a translator upon finishing her degree in English Literature, with no previous experience in this field, she chose to pursue Korean due to a lack of English-Korean translators and moved to Korea to realise this dream.
... See more
Man Booker International 2016 announced:
http://themanbookerprize.com/international

Deborah Smith was monolingual until the age of 21. Deciding to become a translator upon finishing her degree in English Literature, with no previous experience in this field, she chose to pursue Korean due to a lack of English-Korean translators and moved to Korea to realise this dream.

Congratulations to author and translator both!
Collapse

Corbett AM
Corbett AM  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:04
French to English
+ ...
Hear hear Jun 9, 2016

I read about that and thought it was great encouragement to other would-be literary translators. She made a very sound choice clearly.

I don't know any Korean but I've read this book The Vegetarian in English and you can tell she did a good job as it sounds very natural.

The book is really good by the way. Very original.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

28-year-old learned source language at 21, now wins Man Booker International

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »