Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:49
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Kudoz Feb 17, 2017

Hi Martina,
You could post this as a kudoz question and maybe get more answers.

«Oggi sei in vena di metafore da esperta cinefila?»
«Per fortuna non hai detto cinofila, come faceva sempre il mio stupido ex.»

So you want to tie in cinefila - cinefile/film buff/film expert with cinofila - dog lover/dog expert.

Martina MM
Martina MM  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 17, 2017

Yes, that's an Italian joke/mistake, usually indicating that, the person who says one word instead of the other, is not really cultured.
I would skip translating that if I could, but then I would have to find a way to bring the "ex boyfriend" in the conversation between the two characters and I really don't know how to.

I will post it on kudoz as well, thank you!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
cinephile and cynophile? Feb 17, 2017

I don't know if that works or not. "Cinephile" is a perfectly normal and comprehensible word in English, even if it is not particularly common.

"Cynophile" is very obscure, not readily comprehensible for anyone without much familiarity with Latin or Latinized Greek, and may or may not suggest bestiality to some readers. ("Canophile" would be easier to understand, but does not really seem to be the right term and is useless in terms of the joke.)

"Cinephile" and "cynophi
... See more
I don't know if that works or not. "Cinephile" is a perfectly normal and comprehensible word in English, even if it is not particularly common.

"Cynophile" is very obscure, not readily comprehensible for anyone without much familiarity with Latin or Latinized Greek, and may or may not suggest bestiality to some readers. ("Canophile" would be easier to understand, but does not really seem to be the right term and is useless in terms of the joke.)

"Cinephile" and "cynophile" sound very similar, but not identical, which fits perfectly. However, someone's knowledge of the word "cynophile" would tend to represent him or her as highly educated, so this pair of words may not help at all.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Impossible Feb 17, 2017

Martina MM wrote:

Yes, that's an Italian joke/mistake, usually indicating that, the person who says one word instead of the other, is not really cultured.
I would skip translating that if I could, but then I would have to find a way to bring the "ex boyfriend" in the conversation between the two characters and I really don't know how to.

I will post it on kudoz as well, thank you!

I saw the kudiz question, pondered it for a while, and came to the conclusion that it's impossible to convey that wordplay in English (although you'll probably get lots of ungainly suggestions that don't work).

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Wordplay Feb 18, 2017

Perhaps "sinophile" and "cinephile"

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literature: book translation - Italian wordplay "cinofilo"-"cinefilo"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »