Best English translation of Les Chants de Maldoror?
Thread poster: Kunik
Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:27
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mar 15, 2017

There are several translations, and the reviews on Amazon are very conflicting about the translation quality. Which one would you recommend?

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I'd love to be proved wrong... Mar 15, 2017

But I think your chances of finding someone who has compared the English translations of this little-known book are close to zero.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Chants_de_Maldoror#English_translations

Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Title of my reply Feb 27, 2019

How is it little-known, again? It is probably one of the most influential French novels.

tinageta wrote:

There are several translations, and the reviews on Amazon are very conflicting about the translation quality. Which one would you recommend?

1. You should read all of them and then learn French and read it again!

2. The one that was used by Jarmusch in the Permanent Vacation is probably good. The guy "used to" have a good taste back then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best English translation of Les Chants de Maldoror?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »