Ima Oduok (X)
Ima Oduok (X)
Guadeloupe
Local time: 00:12
French to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2017

Hi everyone,

I want to get into literary translation and am looking for resources for short stories written in French. I'm especially interested in work by writers outside of metropolitan France. I've been searching the internet, but it looks like French literature doesn't favor the short form the way we do in American lit. You can find thousands of literary journals in English, but most of what I find in French are journals dedicated to literary criticism.

I appreciat
... See more
Hi everyone,

I want to get into literary translation and am looking for resources for short stories written in French. I'm especially interested in work by writers outside of metropolitan France. I've been searching the internet, but it looks like French literature doesn't favor the short form the way we do in American lit. You can find thousands of literary journals in English, but most of what I find in French are journals dedicated to literary criticism.

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!
Collapse

MARLENE LE DUC (X)
MARLENE LE DUC (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:12
English to French
a suggestion Jul 17, 2017

j'ai juste taper sur google courtes histoires en français, et j'ai trouvé ce site http://short-edition.com/categorie/tres-tres-court/suspense

peut-être serait-il judicieux de traduire des extraits et de les soumettre aux auteurs.

Il existe aussi un site nommé Tektime Traduzzione Libri, où les auteurs mettent leurs livres à traduire.

... See more
j'ai juste taper sur google courtes histoires en français, et j'ai trouvé ce site http://short-edition.com/categorie/tres-tres-court/suspense

peut-être serait-il judicieux de traduire des extraits et de les soumettre aux auteurs.

Il existe aussi un site nommé Tektime Traduzzione Libri, où les auteurs mettent leurs livres à traduire.

En espérant vous avoir aider
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It depends what you mean by... Jul 17, 2017

... "resources for short stories".

Stephanie Williamson
Stephanie Williamson
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:12
French to English
+ ...
I can't find a lot either, but... Jul 18, 2017

A couple of the links on this page that lead to online magazines work (some don't). I've had a quick search and a few publications are recent, although mostly all the same genre: sci-fi/fantasty. You'd have to dig around to see which ones you can access! I googled "fiction française magazine".

http://www.magie-et-fantasy.com/magazines-fantasy.html

Alain Pluckers
Alain Pluckers
Belgium
Spanish to French
+ ...
Belgian literature in French Jul 18, 2017

A link to a site promoting Belgian literature in French
http://www.promotiondeslettres.cfwb.be/index.php?id=missions

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Your key words Jul 18, 2017

should be "nouvelles" and "auteurs francophones" when searching in French. "Contes" would be a good word too. You're right, it's not a form that is super popular in France, compared to the U.S., though there have been majorly famous French short story writers like Maupassant. Wikipedia has a whole list of "French Short Story Writers." You could also add specific regional terms for Francophone writers, such as Caribbean, Maghreb, Africa. "Littérature maghrébine" etc. I'm sure lots of stuff wil... See more
should be "nouvelles" and "auteurs francophones" when searching in French. "Contes" would be a good word too. You're right, it's not a form that is super popular in France, compared to the U.S., though there have been majorly famous French short story writers like Maupassant. Wikipedia has a whole list of "French Short Story Writers." You could also add specific regional terms for Francophone writers, such as Caribbean, Maghreb, Africa. "Littérature maghrébine" etc. I'm sure lots of stuff will come up.

P.S.: I met Maryse Condé once and she is a hoot. Love her work.

[Edited at 2017-07-18 20:29 GMT]
Collapse

Ima Oduok (X)
Ima Oduok (X)
Guadeloupe
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 19, 2017

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I really appreciate your tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French short stories

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »