Thread poster: Idalia Rueda (X)
Idalia Rueda (X)
Idalia Rueda (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 16, 2018

I just recently started translating ebooks, and I was wondering if there is any sort of formatting that I need to do before I turn in an ebook translation? The past two clients I worked with didn't seem to mind that I just turned in a normal MicrosoftWord document, and they would format it, but I keep thinking that future clients would want a more finished looking project. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:09
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
A Word document should be fine Feb 16, 2018

Certainly on Amazon Kindle, all you need to upload a book is a Word document. I would just follow the format in which the original was provided to you.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
modern idea embodiment Feb 16, 2018

-First, ebook formats are not for editing.
-Second, nowadays it's possible to convert from almost any format to another one.
-Third, translation changes not only letters, words, lines, paragraphs, languages, and so on, but also recreates the text, which is an exact copy no more.

P.S. Just check virtual printers and mind the dpi

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Formatting Feb 17, 2018

It's true that Amazon Kindle allows you to upload a Word document for conversion, but the document still needs to be formatted beforehand. If you wish to offer this service to clients, you should learn how to do it properly and charge for it. Some people charge up to $200 or more for formatting alone. I think it is fine, however, "not" to provide this service so long as the client is aware that that they are only receiving a translation and not a finalized conversion-ready document.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats Feb 17, 2018

Hello Amel,

Besides relatively common pdf/lit, I prefer e-reading epub/mobi, azw* and kf* formats. They are mostly ok for converting to or edited by dedicated software, providing they are DRM-free. However, I can't think of any complicated type or formatting to charge extra $200+ for (DTP-like?) formatting alone. So, you mean some specific format or formatting, I wonder? TY

Indeed, making it clear from the start what clients may get would certainly simplify the communic
... See more
Hello Amel,

Besides relatively common pdf/lit, I prefer e-reading epub/mobi, azw* and kf* formats. They are mostly ok for converting to or edited by dedicated software, providing they are DRM-free. However, I can't think of any complicated type or formatting to charge extra $200+ for (DTP-like?) formatting alone. So, you mean some specific format or formatting, I wonder? TY

Indeed, making it clear from the start what clients may get would certainly simplify the communication.
Collapse

Idalia Rueda (X)
Idalia Rueda (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 17, 2018

Thanks so much! I will look into it!
at: Amel Abdullah

It's true that Amazon Kindle allows you to upload a Word document for conversion, but the document still needs to be formatted beforehand. If you wish to offer this service to clients, you should learn how to do it properly and charge for it. Some people charge up to $200 or more for formatting alone. I think it is fine, however, "not" to provide this service so long as the client is aware that that they are only receiving a translation and not a finalized conversion-ready document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting for ebook translations

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »