Thread poster: Joshua Farley
Joshua Farley
Joshua Farley
United States
Local time: 07:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2018

So I was listening to this Italian podcast the other day called "Parol di Storie: Fiabe" which is basically a podcast where they tell fables, fairy tales, tall tales, etc. There was one fairy tale in particular that struck me and I would love to translate it from the spoken podcast version into an English text and publish it. The problem is that I am not sure how to go about this legally.

Long story short, I cannot find any reference of the original story and the only source I can f
... See more
So I was listening to this Italian podcast the other day called "Parol di Storie: Fiabe" which is basically a podcast where they tell fables, fairy tales, tall tales, etc. There was one fairy tale in particular that struck me and I would love to translate it from the spoken podcast version into an English text and publish it. The problem is that I am not sure how to go about this legally.

Long story short, I cannot find any reference of the original story and the only source I can find in any language is the Italian version, which is called "Il cieco e il ladro" (The Blind Man and the Thief), found at this link: https://player.fm/series/series-2419072/il-cieco-e-il-ladro-una-fiaba-africana-etiopia. Are there any legal restrictions preventing me from translating this into English and having it published in a literary magazine or other work? I am trying to find out as much information as I can about the origins of the story, but all I know is it originated in Ethiopia, possibly in the Aramaic language.

Thank you kindly and I look forward to hearing all of your responses! The fairy tale is quite excellent and, if you can understand the Italian language, I highly recommend listening to it! It is only approximately seven minutes.

Joshua Farley
Collapse

Zeineb Nalouti

Zeineb Nalouti
Zeineb Nalouti
Tunisia
Local time: 12:29
English to French
+ ...
A good story indeed Aug 25, 2018

IMO, you don't need authorization to translate a fable. It's part of a heritage, no copyright. The story is worth translating anyway

Joshua Farley

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:29
Chinese to English
Is it a variation of this Aesop fable? Aug 27, 2018

https://fablesofaesop.com/the-miser-and-his-gold.html

You don't need authorization to translate something in the public domain, but you do need it to translate someone else's specific version of the story. So it might be better to find some more versions, read several, then develop your own adaptation.

Michele Fauble
Michael Wetzel
Arabic & More
Joshua Farley

Joshua Farley
Joshua Farley
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody! Aug 28, 2018

Yes, it does seem like a variation of the Aesop fable, that's interesting! And thank you for your responses everybody, I figured it would be okay to translate since it was in the public domain but I wanted to make sure and even contacted the podcast manager to make sure he was okay with it!

Joshua Farley
Joshua Farley
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is the translation! Aug 28, 2018

Here is a link to my translation of this wonderful fable if anyone is interested in reading it: https://scrittarte.wordpress.com/2018/08/27/the-blind-man-and-the-thief/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating an Unpublished Ethiopian Fairy Tale

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »