Thread poster: Cinzia Pasqualino
Cinzia Pasqualino
Cinzia Pasqualino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 9, 2019

First of all, I read the novel, then I read each chapter again and translate it. Some translators don't read the novel first but prefer to read each chapter of the novel and translate it. Which method do you use?

vennila ramanathan

Ali Sharifi
Ali Sharifi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:08
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Reading the entire novel first a must for me. Aug 10, 2019

Cinzia Pasqualino wrote:

First of all, I read the novel, then I read each chapter again and translate it. Some translators don't read the novel first but prefer to read each chapter of the novel and translate it. Which method do you use?

]
Reading the entire novel gives me a sense of the message/story/environment of the novel and my translation will move in that environment. Otherwise, there will be necessary to make a lot of adjustments.

Adam Warren
Josephine Cassar

Lauren Barrett
Lauren Barrett
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Japanese to English
I like to read the whole book and focus on the author's style Apr 21, 2020

Personally, I would read through the book first and highlight any literary techniques as I go. This way I can really analyse the ST author's style by highlighting any techniques that are used repetitively throughout the novel and which are key to the author's style.

If I were to translate a chapter at a time, such stylistic choices might go unnoticed and result in a translation that loses the author's style. Plus, knowing the whole story in detail will also make me aware of any for
... See more
Personally, I would read through the book first and highlight any literary techniques as I go. This way I can really analyse the ST author's style by highlighting any techniques that are used repetitively throughout the novel and which are key to the author's style.

If I were to translate a chapter at a time, such stylistic choices might go unnoticed and result in a translation that loses the author's style. Plus, knowing the whole story in detail will also make me aware of any foreshadowing, which could also impact word choices.

Basically, the more information I have to base my choices on, the better!
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:08
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some tips. Apr 21, 2020

I don’t translate novels as it’s paid really badly (or not paid at all and based on royalties only) but some of the common steps include:

- studying novel background
- studying author’s biography and his general literary/novel corpus and style
- studying historical background
- reading the full novel and analysis of its themes, ideas and topics
- preparing translation methodology
- starting translating chapter by chapter - 1st draft
- revisi
... See more
I don’t translate novels as it’s paid really badly (or not paid at all and based on royalties only) but some of the common steps include:

- studying novel background
- studying author’s biography and his general literary/novel corpus and style
- studying historical background
- reading the full novel and analysis of its themes, ideas and topics
- preparing translation methodology
- starting translating chapter by chapter - 1st draft
- revision of several drafts until a final draft is reached
- editorial and posteditorial procedures and processes
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for translating a novel.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »