Source of a quote attributed to Karel Čapek
Thread poster: Anna Lutsar (X)
Anna Lutsar (X)
Anna Lutsar (X)
Estonia
Aug 23, 2020

Hi. I'm trying to find the source of a quote attributed to Karel Čapek. I'm new to Proz.com so please excuse me if this isn't the right place for my question. Would be grateful for any help. The quote goes "If dogs could talk, perhaps we would find it as hard to get along with them as we do with people". It should be from R.U.R, as suggested in the book I've been translating, but I'm quite convinced by now it isn't. Could anyone with proficiency in Czech confirm whether the quote is from R.U.R ... See more
Hi. I'm trying to find the source of a quote attributed to Karel Čapek. I'm new to Proz.com so please excuse me if this isn't the right place for my question. Would be grateful for any help. The quote goes "If dogs could talk, perhaps we would find it as hard to get along with them as we do with people". It should be from R.U.R, as suggested in the book I've been translating, but I'm quite convinced by now it isn't. Could anyone with proficiency in Czech confirm whether the quote is from R.U.R (https://www.odaha.com/tomas-odaha/recenze/cetba/uryvky/karel-capek-rur-rossums-universal-robots) or not. Tried myself with the word pes or psi and it seems the sentence is not there. Google turns out a mass of this quote but no true source, only the name of Karel Čapek. I wonder if it is his quote at all and if so, what could be the actual title.Collapse

Stuart Hoskins
Stuart Hoskins
Local time: 10:45
Czech to English
+ ...
From his "day job" as a journalist Aug 24, 2020

Kdyby psi dovedli mluvit, možná že bychom se s nimi dohodovali tak těžce jako s lidmi.

From what I have found, it is from a piece that he wrote for the newspaper Lidové noviny and t
... See more
Kdyby psi dovedli mluvit, možná že bychom se s nimi dohodovali tak těžce jako s lidmi.

From what I have found, it is from a piece that he wrote for the newspaper Lidové noviny and that was published on 8 June 1926.

https://www.citarny.cz/knihy-lide/vzdelavani-a-souvislosti/glosa-svet-knihy/co-si-myslel-karel-capek-o-psech-a-jak-si-s-nimi-povidal
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Pavla Dohnalova
Pavla Dohnalova  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:45
English to Czech
+ ...
Article from Lidové noviny Aug 24, 2020

Hi,

Yes, I agree with Stuart - below is the link to the current newspaper Lidové noviny, where you can find the whole article:

https://www.lidovky.cz/nazory/karel-capek-clovek-a-pes.A100618_185424_ln_nazory_glu

The sentence appears right at the end of the piece. Hope this helps as well.

P.L.F. Persio

Anna Lutsar (X)
Anna Lutsar (X)
Estonia
TOPIC STARTER
This is wonderful Aug 24, 2020

Thank you so much indeed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source of a quote attributed to Karel Čapek

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »