Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 15, 2018

I am just starting to learn MemoQ and am trying to create my first project, including TM (which seems to have imported just fine) and TB (very frustrating). I have Studio 2014 professional and have been using it for several years.

I have searched Kilgray's knowledge base and training and it comes up with other stuff, not what I am looking for. I've also done some searching in the forums but most of the info is old, and I am confused by conflicting info.

I went throu
... See more
I am just starting to learn MemoQ and am trying to create my first project, including TM (which seems to have imported just fine) and TB (very frustrating). I have Studio 2014 professional and have been using it for several years.

I have searched Kilgray's knowledge base and training and it comes up with other stuff, not what I am looking for. I've also done some searching in the forums but most of the info is old, and I am confused by conflicting info.

I went through the 10 training modules for MemoQ 8.4, and the only thing they say about importing terms into a MemoQ termbase is to use basically the same settings as for the TM, but exported as CSV (comma separated value), not tmx.

So I have tried about 4 times to export from Multiterm. CSV does not show up as an accepted file type, so I chose All Files and added the .csv to the name. It shows that it exports terms, and when I try to import into MemoQ, under the Delimited section, Tab is the default, but it only shows one field, F0. I changed it to Comma (which is also what the system "found" for me on one of my attempts), and it now has fields F0 - F3. F0 is code, no import.

F1, F2, and F3 all show in the View panel target terms; nothing shows in my source language. I used plain English (source) and plain Spanish (target), not specifying any country. This should include all my terms from Multiterm, right? In Multiterm, I chose the Export definition as tab delimited. In MemoQ, I tried with and without the checkmark in update by entry number.

6/15 edited above to make shorter. Since I found the answer, not so much info is needed now.
Also, I discovered why F1 also showed a target term in the view panel instead of a source term: somehow I had a Spanish word in the source, and that happened to be the term that the program put on top. I don't know why, since it starts with an "r." It was at the beginning of my term list 3 times! Strange. Anyway, I mention this in case anybody else has the same problem.

[Edited at 2018-06-16 01:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-06-16 01:09 GMT]
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exported and imported as .xml, still not right Jun 15, 2018

I tried it again, only this time when I exported as .xml, I saw that I was able to import in MemoQ as .xml. I tried that instead of .csv. But it imported automatically, without bringing up the settings screen. That might have been ok, except that it only shows 3 entries, and I have thousands in my Multiterm TB.

Back to the drawing board, as they say.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it, but need to move TM and TB on screen Jun 15, 2018

Hooray! I didn´t have to export or import again. I just clicked on the place where you tell it if you want the terms for each language to be case sensitive or not. They were blank, so I clicked on them, and then the settings I had already put in there were there. When I went back to the other screen, it showed not 3 entries, but a huge number! The TM and TB are both working in my project.

I moved the preview (View Pane) to my second monitor to allow more space to work. Now
... See more
Hooray! I didn´t have to export or import again. I just clicked on the place where you tell it if you want the terms for each language to be case sensitive or not. They were blank, so I clicked on them, and then the settings I had already put in there were there. When I went back to the other screen, it showed not 3 entries, but a huge number! The TM and TB are both working in my project.

I moved the preview (View Pane) to my second monitor to allow more space to work. Now I have to figure out how to move the translation results section to my second monitor. I tried dragging and dropping but I couldn´t grab it to drag. I tried resizing, making my working area very narrow in hopes of finding an icon to click on at the right side, but I didn´t find one.

Anyone know how to move the TM and TB results section?
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found the answer for viewing the panes, too Jun 15, 2018

Posted by Anthony Green: you can just spread the window over two screens
Aug 17, 2016

I have spread the memoQ window across two screens at times when I have had projects with huge amounts of long hits, ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export Multiterm 2014 termbase and import in MemoQ 8.4

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »