psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:31
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2018

I KNOW that there is a way of changing quatation marlks, angled, "intelligent" "straight"... in memoQ 8.5.8, but need to change from straight upper (as they appear in the keyboard) to angled ones. Have used that, but quite a time ago and now I am totally unable to find that.

Any help? Thanks in advance

Marcel

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marcel Oct 27, 2018

psicutrinius wrote:
I need to change from straight upper (as they appear in the keyboard) to angled ones.

Are you talking about guillemets, i.e. ‹ › and « » ?

psicutrinius
psicutrinius  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Samuel Oct 27, 2018

I mean the "twins", that is , your last example.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marcel Oct 27, 2018

psicutrinius wrote:
I mean the "twins", that is , your last example.

Well, I'm not a MemoQ user, so we'll have to wait for one to drop by.

In the mean time, googling leads me to suspect that this appears to be what you're looking for:
https://help.memoq.com/8-4/en/Places/autocorrect-settings.html
...and your target language has to be set to something that uses French quotes, so... maybe FR.

My own CAT tool does not allow for this sort of thing, so personally I use an AutoIt/AutoHotKey script that creates these fancy quotes when I press a certain shortcut (in my case, Shift+Ctrl+9 and Shift+Ctrl+0).

halit yilmaz

Elzbieta Lubelska
Elzbieta Lubelska
Poland
French to Polish
+ ...
the 3 key Oct 30, 2018

I just use the "3" key with the French keyboard layout.
Another option is the "Insert Symbol" command button in the "Edit" menu.
But I'm not sure what you mean by "changing" quotation marks... You mean automatically in the whole document?

halit yilmaz
halit yilmaz  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
I dont know why this is a problem we are facing Nov 25, 2018

I have many softwares and cat tools on my computer and Memoq insists that I do not want to use '' and that instead, I must use « because, just because it said so.

A seriously perfect software otherwise. Why dear Memoq, WHY?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:31
English to Russian
A workaround for smart quotes Nov 27, 2018

- Type signs “ and ” anywhere in a text document (MS Word or memoQ or anything else).
- Type signs « and » anywhere in a text document.
- In memoQ, press Ctrl+Shift+O. ('Replace straight quotes with smart quotes' checkbox has to be ticked.)
- If you don't have an AutoCorrect list yet, create one by pressing 'New list'. Once done, tick it.
- In the 'Replace:' field copy and paste the “.
- In the 'With' field copy and paste the «.
- Press 'Add'
<
... See more
- Type signs “ and ” anywhere in a text document (MS Word or memoQ or anything else).
- Type signs « and » anywhere in a text document.
- In memoQ, press Ctrl+Shift+O. ('Replace straight quotes with smart quotes' checkbox has to be ticked.)
- If you don't have an AutoCorrect list yet, create one by pressing 'New list'. Once done, tick it.
- In the 'Replace:' field copy and paste the “.
- In the 'With' field copy and paste the «.
- Press 'Add'

Repeat the latter three steps for ” and » accordingly. Don't forget to press 'Add' each time you add a pair of signs.
Press OK.

To make it work in Editor, type the signs “” followed by a trailing space.
Once you type the second quotation mark (”), the first one will turn to («).
Once you type 'space', the second quotation mark (”) will turn to (»).
Also I heard that in some languages a space is required after/before opening/closing quotation marks. If this is your case, typing space after a quotation mark will also turn “ to «.

In case that you don't need this behavior, don't type quotation marks together. Split them by the quoted text instead. Pressing any letter after the first quotation mark will keep both marks as quoted text

The procedure looks long and complicated, but you need to do just one time.

[Edited at 2018-11-27 05:32 GMT]
Collapse

Jan Truper
Silvia Ortega Lorenzo

phrtranslations
phrtranslations  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
Another alternative Nov 30, 2018

Just edit the smart quotes settings file SmartQuotes.xml (mine was in C:\Users\Philipp\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\AutoCorrect. The "AppData" folder is usually hidden, you have to be able to see hidden folders):

- Make a backup copy of the original file in case you fudge something up.

- Open the file with an editor, search for the language code you need and change the standard quotes, which will then be used automatically in MemoQ if you tick "Replace straight quotes with sma
... See more
Just edit the smart quotes settings file SmartQuotes.xml (mine was in C:\Users\Philipp\AppData\Roaming\MemoQ\AutoCorrect. The "AppData" folder is usually hidden, you have to be able to see hidden folders):

- Open the file with an editor, search for the language code you need and change the standard quotes, which will then be used automatically in MemoQ if you tick "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes" under Translation settings > Auto correct. Save file.

- Close MemoQ, open it again et voilà.

For example, I changed my settings for Spanish like this:

Unbenannt

[Edited at 2018-11-30 10:38 GMT]
Collapse

Andrii Vovchenko
Silvia Ortega Lorenzo

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks! Dec 30, 2020

Philipp Reinhold wrote:

- Open the file with an editor, search for the language code you need and change the standard quotes, which will then be used automatically in MemoQ if you tick "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes" under Translation settings > Auto correct. Save file.

- Close MemoQ, open it again et voilà.

For example, I changed my settings for Spanish like this:

Unbenannt

[Edited at 2018-11-30 10:38 GMT]

Thanks! This has been bugging me for years. I foxed it in 5 minutes using your tip!

Here is my (fixed) XML, should anyone working in Dutch or English care to copy it:

fix-for-curly-quotes-in-memoQ

Michael

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
You just have to adjust your autocorrect settings Dec 30, 2020

halit yilmaz wrote:

I have many softwares and cat tools on my computer and Memoq insists that I do not want to use '' and that instead, I must use « because, just because it said so.

A seriously perfect software otherwise. Why dear Memoq, WHY?

It's just a question of having the correct settings:

Open a project. In Project home, click Translations. Open a document for translation. On the Translation ribbon, click Translation Settings. From the menu, choose AutoCorrect. The AutoCorrect settings window opens.
Under "Smart quotes and capitalization", deselect "Replace straight quotes with smart quotes"

At that point, you should be able to type straight quotes, and not seeing them replaced by curly (or "smart") quotes.

Mark Seth
Alejandra Hozikian
Asset Orymbayev

Anthony Rudd
Anthony Rudd

German to English
+ ...
Correct quotation marks Dec 31, 2020

Despite Autocorrection settings, there are situations when inappropriate quotation marks result in the target. In such case I run a regex to correct the settings (I have a library of such regexes).

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:31
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Great tip, thank you! Feb 4, 2021

Philipp Reinhold wrote:

Worked like a charm, thank you!

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
SmartQuotes Autocorrect Not Working Oct 17, 2022

Hi guys,

Tried the method of editing SmartQuotes file in AppData folder but to no avail. Particularly, I've added a SmartQuoteLanguageData for Armenian language (LangCode hye) (copied it from the language with the same characters) but the quotation marks do not wanna change. In AutoCorrect settings, the option Replace straight single and double "quotes" with smart "quotes" is greyed out for Armenian as well as for other languages added to the SmartQuotes doc. MemoQ version 9.5.
... See more
Hi guys,

Tried the method of editing SmartQuotes file in AppData folder but to no avail. Particularly, I've added a SmartQuoteLanguageData for Armenian language (LangCode hye) (copied it from the language with the same characters) but the quotation marks do not wanna change. In AutoCorrect settings, the option Replace straight single and double "quotes" with smart "quotes" is greyed out for Armenian as well as for other languages added to the SmartQuotes doc. MemoQ version 9.5.
Is it possible to make an autocorrect rule with regex for substitution instead?

[Edited at 2022-10-17 13:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-10-17 14:00 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
see also these two Termhotel.com articles: Oct 17, 2022

https://termhotel.com/How_can_I_make_memoQ_automatically_type_curly_(‘…’,_“…”)_apostrophes_and_quotes?
... See more
https://termhotel.com/How_can_I_make_memoQ_automatically_type_curly_(‘…’,_“…”)_apostrophes_and_quotes?

https://termhotel.com/Change_all_"straight_quotes"_to_‘curly’_with_Find_and_replace_(regex_mode)_in_memoQ_(in_one_replacement)

(PS: termhotel.com is my own website!)

[Edited at 2022-10-17 15:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-10-17 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
First Link Has No Article Oct 17, 2022

Hi Michael,

Thanks! Unfortunately, the first link leads to a blank page. And the second one--regex substitution--is too complicated in my case. Inserting symbols and using alt-codes suits, though I tried to find an easier automatic way for this.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change types of quotation marks?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »