Actual Progress in Terms of Words in Status Bar?
Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:41
English to Italian
Mar 2, 2021

Hi everyone,

I searched this section before posting, but didn't find an answer, so here it is.

My question is quite simple, as per subject. Isn't there a way to see your actual progress in terms of words instead of a percentage in the status bar (so I'm not referring to "Statistics")? I find memoQ progress bar quite unhelpful, as it doesn't really let me gauge my actual progress at a glance during translation, as a simple Total vs. Confirmed words tally would.
... See more
Hi everyone,

I searched this section before posting, but didn't find an answer, so here it is.

My question is quite simple, as per subject. Isn't there a way to see your actual progress in terms of words instead of a percentage in the status bar (so I'm not referring to "Statistics")? I find memoQ progress bar quite unhelpful, as it doesn't really let me gauge my actual progress at a glance during translation, as a simple Total vs. Confirmed words tally would.

Just to make a direct comparison, here are memoQ and Memsource status bars (respectively):

memoQ Progress Bar

Memsource Progress Bar
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian
André Riekes Bruel

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The bar(s) in the Translations pane Mar 2, 2021

The closest I can think of is the green progress bar in the Translation pane, which tells you how far you are done in each file and folder. If you enable the Structure button, you see the overall progress in each part of the project, in different shades of green to refer to translation + revision 1 + revision 2. This is the view I use all the time for larger projects/files.

Captura de pantalla 2021-03-02 140944

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Run progress report to keep track? Mar 2, 2021

I don't think there is a way to check the wordcount in the progress bar, but if you run progress report, you can check both percentage and wordcount you have translated.
I do agree that it would be helpful to recognize the translated wordcount as well, but for large projects I set my daily quota by "percentage" based on memoQ progress bar.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 3, 2021

Tomás, Akiko, thank you for your replies.

I somehow "hoped" there might be some hidden setting somewhere to actually customize memoQ status bar beyond the choice of segments/words/segments as a basis for the percentages...

And yeah Tomás, of course, you're right about the "Project home" overview, but that's basically the same info as what you get in the status bar, only expressed with a graphical representation, but that still lacks hard figures you can check at a gla
... See more
Tomás, Akiko, thank you for your replies.

I somehow "hoped" there might be some hidden setting somewhere to actually customize memoQ status bar beyond the choice of segments/words/segments as a basis for the percentages...

And yeah Tomás, of course, you're right about the "Project home" overview, but that's basically the same info as what you get in the status bar, only expressed with a graphical representation, but that still lacks hard figures you can check at a glance while working. In fact Akiko hit the nail on the head, as that's also my point. When working on a project (especially if relatively large) I find it quite useful to set my daily quota in terms of number of words. Additionally, that way it's also much easier to check your hourly productivity and see whether you're falling behind schedule or not.

So, well, I do hope that someone from Kilgray is reading this, because this seems to me like a really basic feature for a CAT tool to have, and moreover one that would take very little effort to implement on the developer's side...
Collapse

Lisa Schuchardt
André Riekes Bruel
Fernanda di Costanzo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Actual Progress in Terms of Words in Status Bar?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »