Translated text in dark grey box
Thread poster: GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
German to English
Nov 14, 2008

I am pretty new to this program, using a trial version. All has gone well till yesterday evening. Now the preceding, translated text block is coloured in dark grey. What does it mean? What do I have to do?

The other thing is: how can I correct a TDB entry when I change my mind about a translation entry?

Thanks in advance.

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:31
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Open the TDB center Nov 14, 2008

I can't answer the first question, since I can't really visualize what is happening.
On the second question, simply open the TDB center. To quote from the Help, "Execute the menu command: MetaTexis | Terminology database (TDB) | Display main TDB (default shortcut: Alt+Shift+G). The complete TDB will be displayed in the Database center dialog box".
Then just select the appropriate entry and change whatever you have to.
The whole entry in the Help is under "Concepts and function
... See more
I can't answer the first question, since I can't really visualize what is happening.
On the second question, simply open the TDB center. To quote from the Help, "Execute the menu command: MetaTexis | Terminology database (TDB) | Display main TDB (default shortcut: Alt+Shift+G). The complete TDB will be displayed in the Database center dialog box".
Then just select the appropriate entry and change whatever you have to.
The whole entry in the Help is under "Concepts and functions" -> "Translation Memories (TMs) and Terminology Databases (TDBs)" -> "Displaying TDBs"
I strongly recommend browsing through the Help or pressing the Help button on the menus. The Help is extremely well written and useful - a real rarity these days - and the time reading it is well spent.
Collapse

GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:31
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
dark grey area Nov 21, 2008

Thanks for your help - the correction is fine. I am still mystified by the grey text area and also the various coloured, moving dots around words and phrases. I have the English manual downloaded on my computer, but unfortunately a German Windows environment, which doesn't help me in finding my way!

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:31
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
The language of MetaTexis can be changed Nov 22, 2008

There is a German manual on the site (and in other languages as well, but I doubt they would help you), unfortunately, it seems to be the oldest and may be outdated. Since I don't know German, I never bothered checking it.
However, the help file/manual refers almost exclusively to MetaTexis and not to the other software it works with (i. e. MS Word, MS Windows). Therefore you can change only the language of MetaTexis to English (if it is in German) and this will not affect the language of
... See more
There is a German manual on the site (and in other languages as well, but I doubt they would help you), unfortunately, it seems to be the oldest and may be outdated. Since I don't know German, I never bothered checking it.
However, the help file/manual refers almost exclusively to MetaTexis and not to the other software it works with (i. e. MS Word, MS Windows). Therefore you can change only the language of MetaTexis to English (if it is in German) and this will not affect the language of MS Office, but will help you better follow the English language help/manual.
The "moving dots", or "marching ants" as called in the English version of MS Word, simply mark differing words and phrases in a fuzzy match. To quote the help again:
"By default, identical sub-segments are marked by means of green characters, whereas different sub-segments are marked through a so-called "marching ants" box around them."
This is an option and can be turned off in the TM Search Results Options tab (turns off all sub-segment marking) or in General options, where the text effect can be set.

With regards to the background color, play around with the color settings for the different kinds of matches and you will probably find out which one is this. Because by default there doesn't seem to be a dark gray background color.
Collapse

Julio A. Juncal
Julio A. Juncal  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Text in dark grey box Oct 26, 2009

I have found that the best way to deal with this issue is to hit Alt-Delete and go back to the source and hit Alt-Down. I find this issue occasionally and it may be due to my hitting some wrong keys.

Julio A. Juncal, NY, NY

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated text in dark grey box

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »