Newcomer billing question: what should a bill look like?
Thread poster: swissmiss
swissmiss
swissmiss  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
German to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2001

I am fairly new to the freelancing world (I\'ve done most of my work for one client, a friend--so, my bills have been very simple).

I\'d welcome suggestions on how to bill \"successfully\"--ie. what a bill should look like: do you put the total charge on there for the completed project, do you itemize it? What kinds of tips would you give a newcomer?

TIA.

Nadja

Ramón Esquivel
Ramón Esquivel  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 11:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
Take a look at this Dec 8, 2001

Maybe you would like to check this address:

http://www.landsw.com

They make a terrific invoicing software geared specifically to translators & interpretors.

Even if you don\'t buy it, you\'ll be able to see a invoice sample on the site.

I invoice that way and, so far, no complaints!

Good luck!

Ramon

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Fundamentals Dec 8, 2001

Hi Nadja,

I use a commercial accounting software (Sage KHK), but only because I got fed up with calculating all these invoices by hand... (yes, I could have used an embedded Excel spreadsheet, but in the end I opted for the proper solution).

It\'s a good idea to state that the invoice refers to a translation, showing the languages involved. If it\'s just a single piece of text, a single reference line is ok; for larger projects, use a header line identifying the pr
... See more
Hi Nadja,

I use a commercial accounting software (Sage KHK), but only because I got fed up with calculating all these invoices by hand... (yes, I could have used an embedded Excel spreadsheet, but in the end I opted for the proper solution).

It\'s a good idea to state that the invoice refers to a translation, showing the languages involved. If it\'s just a single piece of text, a single reference line is ok; for larger projects, use a header line identifying the project, and itemise the amounts for individual chapters.

Finally, if you need to charge VAT, do so at the end of the invoice, calculating VAT on the subtotal rather than doing it for individual items (just less work...).

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
As you are based in France Dec 13, 2001

you would be suprised by just how much information IS supposed to go on your bill. There\'s little space left for the amount a client is supposed to pay! Here are some of the elements which have to be included but to be sure check with an accountant and/or your centre de gestion.

- the word \"facture\"

- your business name and address

- date bill issued

- client name and address

- service provided

- unit cost (per word, for e
... See more
you would be suprised by just how much information IS supposed to go on your bill. There\'s little space left for the amount a client is supposed to pay! Here are some of the elements which have to be included but to be sure check with an accountant and/or your centre de gestion.

- the word \"facture\"

- your business name and address

- date bill issued

- client name and address

- service provided

- unit cost (per word, for example)

- multiplied by (number of words)

- total H.T.

- total T.V.A. (if applicable)

- total T.T.C.

- indications of when payment is due

- indication of penalty for late payment (Cf. Loi 92-1442 du 31/12/92.) and what happens if payment terms and conditions not respected

- N° SIRET

- Code APE

- N° TVA intra-communautaire (if applicable)

- indication that you are member of a Centre de Gestion (if applicable) and will accept payment by cheque

I\'ll try to find an official source but this ought to get you thinking!

Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Status - business structure Dec 13, 2001

Just a quick word. A number of years ago in France, it was possible to present fee notes (notes d\'honoraires) of up to a total of 36 000 FF without having to have any professional business structure. That was at the time when there was no need to bill VAT (TVA) on anything under 10 000 FF. That threshold has increased to 175 000 FF and the 36 000 FF thing has gone. Anyone presenting fee notes has to have some sort of business structure, \"profesional libérale\" being the most common among Fran... See more
Just a quick word. A number of years ago in France, it was possible to present fee notes (notes d\'honoraires) of up to a total of 36 000 FF without having to have any professional business structure. That was at the time when there was no need to bill VAT (TVA) on anything under 10 000 FF. That threshold has increased to 175 000 FF and the 36 000 FF thing has gone. Anyone presenting fee notes has to have some sort of business structure, \"profesional libérale\" being the most common among France-based translators, but far from being the only one.Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:46
Chinese to English
+ ...
ProZ Invoicing Tool Jan 29, 2021

The ProZ invoicing tool is a pretty good starting point for preparing an invoice. It has some quirks, but it's easy to use in general.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Jan 29, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
The ProZ invoicing tool is a pretty good starting point for preparing an invoice. It has some quirks...

Tell us more about these quirks, Lincoln?

Andrée Anne Tremblay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newcomer billing question: what should a bill look like?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »