How to remove obsolete tags in the match zone with a single command?
Thread poster: Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin
Alexandre Oberlin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:30
English to French
+ ...
Dec 18, 2018

Hello everbody,

I just would like a single command to remove the old tags in the almost perfect match before reinserting them with CTRL+T . The reason is that the tags are not the same, for instance "myapp" has become "myapp" in the new file I am translating.

Is this currently possible?

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
Russian to English
+ ...
typo?? Dec 18, 2018

I don't understand. You said myapp became myapp.

Alexandre Oberlin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
[Repost with tags fixed] Dec 18, 2018

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
Hello everbody,
I just would like a single command to remove the old tags in the almost perfect match before reinserting them with CTRL+T. The reason is that the tags are not the same, for instance "<t0>myapp</t0>" has become "<s0>myapp</s0>" in the new file I am translating.
Is this currently possible?

Alexandre Oberlin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Assign a script Dec 18, 2018

Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
I just would like a single command to remove the old tags in the almost perfect match.

The latest version of OmegaT does come with a script called "Strip Tags" that can do that. In OmegaT, go Tools > Scripting. In the left column, look for "Strip Tags" and click one it. Then, right-click one of the numbered buttons at the bottom (choose one that doesn't have brackets yet, if any), which will assign the selected script to the selected shortcut. E.g. if you use button "1", then the shortcut for the script becomes Ctrl+Shift+F1. Close the scripting pane, and try it in an active segment: press the shortcut, Ctrl+Shift+F1: it should remove all tags from that segment.

If you don't see the "Strip Tags" script, you're not using the latest version of OmegaT. Which version are you using?

Alexandre Oberlin

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I should have known... Dec 18, 2018

... since I had just read this:
"Thanks to a bug in ProZ.com's forum software that hasn't been fixed in (oh, I think) ten years, that is not what you get."
https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/278986-how_to_remove_tags_1_1_from_the_original_text.html

Thanks for fixing up.

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Dec 18, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you don't see the "Strip Tags" script, you're not using the latest version of OmegaT. Which version are you using?

I have 3.6.0_10 on Linux. Works great, thanks a lot Samuel.

Alexandre

Alexandre Oberlin
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Talking about removing the tags... Dec 18, 2018

Susan Welsh wrote:
I don't understand. You said myapp became myapp.

Actually the forum did with my post exactly what I was trying to do with my job: remove the tags

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to remove obsolete tags in the match zone with a single command?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »