Anti-Virus Software
Thread poster: Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 23:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 2, 2003

I need to buy some anti-virus software for my computer and - not being a technical person - I don't know what to get. I want it to stop virusses coming into my computer and cleaning it up if they do. Should I buy discs or download off the internet?

I would really appreciate some advice! Thanks!

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 00:30
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Firewall and antivirus Sep 2, 2003

Go to www.zonelabs.com, and look for the free firewall under "Download and buy". I have used this a couple of years, and it blocks a lot of different viruses that often arrive via email.

In addition to this I rely on F-secure,(www.f-secure.com). The people there (Finland) has worked with antivirus as long as I rememb
... See more
Go to www.zonelabs.com, and look for the free firewall under "Download and buy". I have used this a couple of years, and it blocks a lot of different viruses that often arrive via email.

In addition to this I rely on F-secure,(www.f-secure.com). The people there (Finland) has worked with antivirus as long as I remember, and you can find their new Antivirus 2003 on this site for try or to buy straight away.The price is 52$ per year.

It is also possible to buy a package from F-secure for 65$ that includes a firewall. I am sure it is a safe deal, but so far I haven't tried their firewall.

Good luck!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:30
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I advise KAV Sep 2, 2003

It is Russian product, we use various versions for 5 years now and it newer has let us down.
Interface is very easy to use, updates are daily, in case of new virus spreading, Kaspersky guarantees update in 2 hours from the moment first virus is catched (and there fore reccomends automatic updates set to hourly), finds viruses and worms in packed files, price for is lover than for others and in various virus tests it always shows 100% reliability and beats Norton and MacAfee (about 97-99%).
... See more
It is Russian product, we use various versions for 5 years now and it newer has let us down.
Interface is very easy to use, updates are daily, in case of new virus spreading, Kaspersky guarantees update in 2 hours from the moment first virus is catched (and there fore reccomends automatic updates set to hourly), finds viruses and worms in packed files, price for is lover than for others and in various virus tests it always shows 100% reliability and beats Norton and MacAfee (about 97-99%).

See: http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?chapter=557092&tgroup=2

and advise wizard:
http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?chapter=951967

Uldis
Collapse

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
AVG Sep 2, 2003

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I agree with Ivan: ZoneLabs is a really good firewall; I would also recommend AVG anti-virus, which is free to download on www.grisoft.com
It's very effective and has protected my PC admirably against viruses for the last couple of years.
You should be fine with these two products!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Use ZoneLabs Pro Sep 3, 2003

The free version of ZoneLabs is not safe enough, it is already part of WindowsXP. By the licence for the Pro version. For Antivirus protection I use the free Antivir package. And I do not open strange mail-attachements, that's the most important part of virus protection.

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
PC Cillin 2003 Sep 3, 2003

As regards Antivirus I use PC Cillin (since version 6) and I am more than pleased with it. It's very easy to use, it has an automatic update feature which checks for updates of the virus pattern file every 3 hours and it automatically checks all your incoming email (pop and webmail) for virus attachments, deleting the virus detected.
It's got some handy new features in this last version.
I got this offer recently on an Email if you're interested for New users - Save 25% on PC-Cillin
... See more
As regards Antivirus I use PC Cillin (since version 6) and I am more than pleased with it. It's very easy to use, it has an automatic update feature which checks for updates of the virus pattern file every 3 hours and it automatically checks all your incoming email (pop and webmail) for virus attachments, deleting the virus detected.
It's got some handy new features in this last version.
I got this offer recently on an Email if you're interested for New users - Save 25% on PC-Cillin 2003, and the link is http://www.digitalriver.com/promo=27002

As for Firewall I use ZoneAlarm and have never had any problems.
This is very important for the MS Blast virus which comes straight into your computer through a port, as a hacker attack, not through email attachments.

Hope this helps you decide.
Kind regards,
Grace.
Collapse

Els Peleman
Els Peleman  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Flemish
+ ...
Norton Antivirus/Security Sep 3, 2003

Hi,

i have Norton Antivirus on my computer and the firewall of Norton Security. In the five years i am having a computer, there is only one virus that slept inthrough my computer. All the others were blocked by my computer. All the people i know are very satisfied with this program and if you need tools for new viruses, such as the SobigF-virus, you can find it always on their site. With this virusprogramm you can also easily update your virusprotection.

Further
... See more
Hi,

i have Norton Antivirus on my computer and the firewall of Norton Security. In the five years i am having a computer, there is only one virus that slept inthrough my computer. All the others were blocked by my computer. All the people i know are very satisfied with this program and if you need tools for new viruses, such as the SobigF-virus, you can find it always on their site. With this virusprogramm you can also easily update your virusprotection.

Further i advice you to install Adaware for the spyware. I have it since a year now and i was really surprised at the beginning what it all blocked of spies in my computer.

Els
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
AVG Sep 4, 2003

Daphne Theodoraki wrote:

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

I agree with Ivan: ZoneLabs is a really good firewall; I would also recommend AVG anti-virus, which is free to download on www.grisoft.com
It's very effective and has protected my PC admirably against viruses for the last couple of years.
You should be fine with these two products!

Yes, I have AVG too and very satisfied with it, and I read somewhere that it is very compatible with ZoneAlarm from Zonelabs. They are FREE to download and ZoneAlarm came the best in a test in juni in a pc mag in holland.

I want to have it on my pc, but I have to wait I can pay someone to do it.

Lien

Nina Engberg
Nina Engberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
ZoneAlarm and Panda Sep 4, 2003

I use ZoneAlarm Pro for firewall and Panda Titanium for antivirus, and it's working great.

I looked at AVG, but it said it can't be used in a networked environment, so.....

I tried Kaspersky, but didn't find it very intuitive.

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

I need to buy some anti-virus software for my computer and - not being a technical person - I don't know what to get. I want it to stop virusses coming into my computer and cleaning it up if they do. Should I buy discs or download off the internet?

I would really appreciate some advice! Thanks!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
There's no need to argue on matters of taste, Sep 7, 2003

as, of course (as my relative, a good artist, now for some time in better hunting grounds, used to say), "all that I like is tasty"
But, nonetheless, I would like to stress- to get real protection, you must by a commercial product, you cannot expect due timely updates etc. from freeware, after all, if you do not pay, you’re not entitled to complain in case if…

Ukdis

[Edited at 2003-09-07 18:58]

Hirschmann (X)
Hirschmann (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
FreeWare is often better than BuyWare Dec 21, 2003

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

But, nonetheless, I would like to stress- to get real protection, you must by a commercial product, you cannot expect due timely updates etc. from freeware, after all, if you do not pay, you’re not entitled to complain in case if…

Ukdis

Many people, including myself, have experienced severe problems with Norton Antivirus. I prefer a free-of-charge virus scanner, i.e., AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/) that is updated regularly, and an excellent free-of-charge firewall software, i.e., Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html).

In my opinion, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is much better than ZoneAlarm.

BTW, there is also a free-of-charge Linux version of AntiVir available.

[Edited at 2003-12-21 13:13]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:30
Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows Defender Jan 28, 2021

You can use Windows Defender. It's free.

Josephine Cassar

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Who... Jan 28, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Who are you replying to, Lincoln?

Yaotl Altan

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Wear masks! Jan 28, 2021

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

I want it to stop virusses coming into my computer and cleaning it up if they do. Should I buy discs

More important than ever today. Discs have only a limited effect. Better install a panel made of transparent plastics between you and the computer to prevent aerosols from contaminating the screen and the FDD.

Christopher Schröder
Yaotl Altan

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Seriously? Jan 28, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:

I mean, seriously asked, Lincoln, please: Is WD sufficient? I´m asking because I still use and pay for a separate virus scanner (Avira), to protect my Windows PC. Any experiences from other users here with Windows Defender?

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-28 08:47 GMT]

Yaotl Altan

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-Virus Software

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »