Norton Antivirus, Malware, Spyware and Co.
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:12
English to German
+ ...
May 4, 2011

Hi All,

I am really confused at the moment. Is there some kind of "expert" here on this topic? I am reading so many controverse opinions concerning antivirus programs that I am no longer sure what to use. I recently had an attack from a spyware and had great problems.

Is Norton Antivirus 2011 still a good solution? Are there any better alternatives? I am looking for a program which gives me - as layman - the necessary security against all those malware programs and viru
... See more
Hi All,

I am really confused at the moment. Is there some kind of "expert" here on this topic? I am reading so many controverse opinions concerning antivirus programs that I am no longer sure what to use. I recently had an attack from a spyware and had great problems.

Is Norton Antivirus 2011 still a good solution? Are there any better alternatives? I am looking for a program which gives me - as layman - the necessary security against all those malware programs and viruses.

Please share your opinions and recommendations.

Annett
Collapse

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)
Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Alternatives and opinions May 4, 2011

Annett Hieber wrote:

Is Norton Antivirus 2011 still a good solution? Are there any better alternatives?

Annett

Hi Annett,

Just wondering if you've seen this discussion: http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/175970-anti_virus_software_suggestions.html before. It names some alternatives and gives some opinions on them. OK, it's from 2010, but may still be of help.

Joachim

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
What are you worried about? May 4, 2011

It would help to know what the specific threat is that you perceive.
I stopped using expensive brand name antiviruses like Norton and Panda years ago, and now use a free one, which is also available with enhanced features if you pay a small licencing fee. AVG is a good one, but there are several. Ask your personal tech advisor (or geek friend, I'm assuming everybody has access to one).

You can avoid many malware etc problems by some simple precautions, such as having a speci
... See more
It would help to know what the specific threat is that you perceive.
I stopped using expensive brand name antiviruses like Norton and Panda years ago, and now use a free one, which is also available with enhanced features if you pay a small licencing fee. AVG is a good one, but there are several. Ask your personal tech advisor (or geek friend, I'm assuming everybody has access to one).

You can avoid many malware etc problems by some simple precautions, such as having a specifc "junk" email address to use when signing up for anything online that might later send you spam or other unwanted stuff. Or making the first address in your email "Contacts" list 00000 to keep out mailworms. Or staying away from sites visited by teenagers, trolls and halfwits.

Re: Norton. In my experience it works fine, but the problem is that if you come up against a problem where you actually need someone who knows what they are doing to talk you through the problem, they expect you to pay extra for the service, over and above the yearly subscription fee, which seems to me a bit like money for old rope, because 99% of the time it just hums away in the background, sapping your PC's resources...

[Edited at 2011-05-04 08:50 GMT]
Collapse

Theodoros Kalyvas
Theodoros Kalyvas  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:12
English to Greek
+ ...
Altenratives and opinions - ESET Smart Security May 4, 2011

Hi Annett,

I have been using ESET products (NOD32 and Smart Security) for 4 years, and I can vouch for their efficiency and light use of system resources. Back then I switched form Norton, because it was taxing the resources of my fairly powerful PC, to the point that it was visibly crawling.

Smart Security receives several updates daily to deal with zero day threats (brand new viruses, trojans, etc.), comes with a fairly good firewall and e-mail spam filter, is configu
... See more
Hi Annett,

I have been using ESET products (NOD32 and Smart Security) for 4 years, and I can vouch for their efficiency and light use of system resources. Back then I switched form Norton, because it was taxing the resources of my fairly powerful PC, to the point that it was visibly crawling.

Smart Security receives several updates daily to deal with zero day threats (brand new viruses, trojans, etc.), comes with a fairly good firewall and e-mail spam filter, is configurable, and you won't even notice it's there, unless it discovers a threat and prompts your for the desired action.

I have never observed conflicts between Smart Security and any other software I use, nor I had any other issues with it.

These are my 2 cents.

Theo
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I dropped Norton - Chose ESET NOD32 May 4, 2011

I was a loyal user of Norton products until my wife brought a virus from her school which we could not remove. Norton (which was completely up-to-date) failed to detect the virus... while its effects were perfectly visible in the screen and in computer behaviour and performance.

On the other hand, Norton consumed so much of my computer resources that I was really tired of it. I don't know whether this has changed, but updates took ages and forced me to restart the computer several t
... See more
I was a loyal user of Norton products until my wife brought a virus from her school which we could not remove. Norton (which was completely up-to-date) failed to detect the virus... while its effects were perfectly visible in the screen and in computer behaviour and performance.

On the other hand, Norton consumed so much of my computer resources that I was really tired of it. I don't know whether this has changed, but updates took ages and forced me to restart the computer several times every time I updated any component.

I got tired of the product and chose ESET NOD32, a decision of which I am very happy after this time, since it removed the virus back then and has protected my computers very nicely without getting in the way of using the computer and with rather unobtrusive updates. And... it is cheaper than Norton. I entirely recommend it.
Collapse

Fugee
Fugee
Dutch to English
How about Microsoft's solution? May 4, 2011

Norton uses so much of a computer's resources that it's as bad as a virus IMO.

My licence for ESET NOD32 (which I have been a happy user of for a number of years) is up in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of trying Microsoft Security Essentials. Obviously, I can't recommend it, since I haven't used it yet, but people I know that do use it have recommended it to me.

Look
... See more

My licence for ESET NOD32 (which I have been a happy user of for a number of years) is up in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of trying Microsoft Security Essentials. Obviously, I can't recommend it, since I haven't used it yet, but people I know that do use it have recommended it to me.

Look here.
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Happy with Norton May 4, 2011

Norton did indeed used to consume resources, but the latest versions don't at all. I have Norton 360 and no virus ever got past it (or the previous version) and it consumes practically zero resources. Also like the online backup facility (you can purchase the amount of backup space you need), which also does its work very quietly in the background, meaning I don't have to run a second program for that purpose. Also has a handy startup management function to kill all those programmes that secretl... See more
Norton did indeed used to consume resources, but the latest versions don't at all. I have Norton 360 and no virus ever got past it (or the previous version) and it consumes practically zero resources. Also like the online backup facility (you can purchase the amount of backup space you need), which also does its work very quietly in the background, meaning I don't have to run a second program for that purpose. Also has a handy startup management function to kill all those programmes that secretly launch when you start your computer and then idle in the background, consuming resources. Do agree it's on the expensive side.Collapse

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the hint May 4, 2011

Joachim Dietlicher MSc (BDÜ) wrote:

Annett Hieber wrote:

Is Norton Antivirus 2011 still a good solution? Are there any better alternatives?

Annett

Hi Annett,

Just wondering if you've seen this discussion: http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/175970-anti_virus_software_suggestions.html before. It names some alternatives and gives some opinions on them. OK, it's from 2010, but may still be of help.

Joachim

Thank you, Joachim, I just detected it a f t e r I posted this new thread. And, of course, it will help me deciding on my future anti-virus program, too.

Annett

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting May 4, 2011

Theodoros Kalyvas wrote:

Hi Annett,

Smart Security receives several updates daily to deal with zero day threats (brand new viruses, trojans, etc.), comes with a fairly good firewall and e-mail spam filter, is configurable, and you won't even notice it's there, unless it discovers a threat and prompts your for the desired action.

I have never observed conflicts between Smart Security and any other software I use, nor I had any other issues with it.

These are my 2 cents.

Theo

Hi Theo,

That'a something new for me - I didn't know ESET products before. So, I will research about those now. It sounds very interesting, though.

Annett

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tomás, May 4, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

On the other hand, Norton consumed so much of my computer resources that I was really tired of it. I don't know whether this has changed, but updates took ages and forced me to restart the computer several times every time I updated any component.

I got tired of the product and chose ESET NOD32, a decision of which I am very happy after this time, since it removed the virus back then and has protected my computers very nicely without getting in the way of using the computer and with rather unobtrusive updates. And... it is cheaper than Norton. I entirely recommend it.

Thank you for your thoughts. As I already stated, I didn't know this product until now, so I will have a closer look at it.

By the way: Congratulations to your pass in DipTrans!

Annett

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot May 4, 2011

Fugee wrote:

Look here.

Hi Fugee,

Thank you for the link, I will definitely have a look at it, too!

Annett

Annett Hieber
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Programs in the background? May 4, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Norton did indeed used to consume resources, but the latest versions don't at all. I have Norton 360 and no virus ever got past it (or the previous version) and it consumes practically zero resources. Also like the online backup facility (you can purchase the amount of backup space you need), which also does its work very quietly in the background, meaning I don't have to run a second program for that purpose. Also has a handy startup management function to kill all those programmes that secretly launch when you start your computer and then idle in the background, consuming resources. Do agree it's on the expensive side.

Hi Olly,

What's interesting about your post here, are the programs secretly launching in the background. I am having problems with shutting down my PC for a while. May there be a connection?

Annett

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
PC shutting down May 5, 2011

He Annett,

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, slow shut-down times can indeed have the same cause as slow-start-ups: various programmes that run in the background, even when not used, that all need to be shut down when you turn your computer off. These can include programmes like adobe, desktop search, update managers, etc., that are all configured to launch on start-up and quietly (or noisily) run in the background as long as the computer is on.

Olly

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton Antivirus, Malware, Spyware and Co.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »