Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 18, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Half an hour ago I received a Mozilla Thunderbird update notice. "Two updates available," said Windows 7 on my 64bit laptop. Well, of course, I thought, and initialized the process. I thought that the message in the window was odd though, because Mozilla Thunderbird never calls itself "Mozilla Thunderbird Updates". I clicked OK anyway, and all of the sudden all virus alerts started flashing like crazy, and I could stop and remove: "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tracur.Y"<
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Half an hour ago I received a Mozilla Thunderbird update notice. "Two updates available," said Windows 7 on my 64bit laptop. Well, of course, I thought, and initialized the process. I thought that the message in the window was odd though, because Mozilla Thunderbird never calls itself "Mozilla Thunderbird Updates". I clicked OK anyway, and all of the sudden all virus alerts started flashing like crazy, and I could stop and remove: "TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tracur.Y"

Has anyone experienced a similar occurrence?

Best regards,

Nicole Schnell
Collapse

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:05
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
once Aug 18, 2011

Some time ago all of the sudden I had a message on my laptop's screen: "Serious virus threat!! Do you want to protect your computer? Yes. No" The message looked like a Windows' message. Unfortunately I was stupid enough (it was late and I was tired), and in panic I clicked "yes". And then I couldn't get rid of that virus/trojan (which I downloaded by clicking 'yes'). Luckily, with the help of a smart IT guy I didn't loose any data and restored my laptop back to normal. A lesson learnt.
Ewa
... See more
Some time ago all of the sudden I had a message on my laptop's screen: "Serious virus threat!! Do you want to protect your computer? Yes. No" The message looked like a Windows' message. Unfortunately I was stupid enough (it was late and I was tired), and in panic I clicked "yes". And then I couldn't get rid of that virus/trojan (which I downloaded by clicking 'yes'). Luckily, with the help of a smart IT guy I didn't loose any data and restored my laptop back to normal. A lesson learnt.
Ewa

[Edited at 2011-08-18 12:53 GMT]
Collapse

Silvia Barra (X)
Silvia Barra (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, both Aug 18, 2011

I experienced these two viruses just this week, despite anti-virus well functioning.
I had to restart my laptop in temporary modality and to create a reset point before the virus came.
The virus in the form of anti-virus was very hard to defeat, since it closed and blocked all programs on laptop.

Silvia

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:05
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I was wondering Aug 20, 2011

Because this available update was shown on the system bar, related to my email program Thunderbird, and when I clicked on the balloon, all hell broke loose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozilla Thunderbird update a Trojan?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »