Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What's a good anti-virus program for translators?
Thread poster: Sarah McDowell
Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You will never get a single decisive recommendation Sep 6, 2012

You will never get a single and decisive answer when it comes to this sort of recommendation. The reason for this is that there are several good options in the market to choose from, all with their advantages and disadvantages, so there isn't one definitive "best" solution. On top of that, people have different needs, preferences, approaches and experience, and psychologically assign values to different parameters (brand names, relying on reviews, etc.). Therefore, all recommendations are subjec... See more
You will never get a single and decisive answer when it comes to this sort of recommendation. The reason for this is that there are several good options in the market to choose from, all with their advantages and disadvantages, so there isn't one definitive "best" solution. On top of that, people have different needs, preferences, approaches and experience, and psychologically assign values to different parameters (brand names, relying on reviews, etc.). Therefore, all recommendations are subjective in a way and, probably, the more you'll ask, the more confused you'll get.

You should seek the option that best fits your needs (from you description they are basic and simple, therefore no need of over-bloated software packages), your preferences (resource usage, do you want it to as silently as possible in the background or do you want to be able to be more involved, etc.) and that psychologically gives you the best peace of mind (e.g. brand name, a stellar recommendation that you received from someone you trust, including blogs, websites, etc.).

As stated, no AV will ever be enough to stop everything, and the most useful security tool is the user's common sense. However, all the options mentioned above will be fine, you can't go wrong no matter which one you choose. They are all good AVs and will protect you from most random threats that you may encounter as part of your daily use.

[Edited at 2012-09-06 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

claudiabi
claudiabi
Local time: 17:19
What I use: Sep 6, 2012

Avira Free Antivirus

CCleaner

HiJackThis

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:19
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agree Sep 6, 2012

Shai Nave wrote:

You will never get a single and decisive answer when it comes to this sort of recommendation. The reason for this is that there are several good options in the market to choose from, all with their advantages and disadvantages, so there isn't one definitive "best" solution. On top of that, people have different needs, preferences, approaches and experience, and psychologically assign values to different parameters (brand names, relying on reviews, etc.). Therefore, all recommendations are subjective in a way and, probably, the more you'll ask, the more confused you'll get.

You should seek the option that best fits your needs (from you description they are basic and simple, therefore no need of over-bloated software packages), your preferences (resource usage, do you want it to as silently as possible in the background or do you want to be able to be more involved, etc.) and that psychologically gives you the best peace of mind (e.g. brand name, a stellar recommendation that you received from someone you trust, including blogs, websites, etc.).

As stated, no AV will ever be enough to stop everything, and the most useful security tool is the user's common sense. However, all the options mentioned above will be fine, you can't go wrong no matter which one you choose. They are all good AVs and will protect you from most random threats that you may encounter as part of your daily use.

[Edited at 2012-09-06 15:21 GMT]

I could not agree more. Thanks.

ATIL KAYHAN
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
CCleaner! Sep 6, 2012

claudiabi wrote:

Avira Free Antivirus

CCleaner

HiJackThis

One word of caution. I used to use CCleaner on my computer without any problems. Then, one day I downloaded the program to a friend's computer. I ran CCleaner on his computer as I normally would. And it messed up the whole operating system. I think it was Windows XP. It took him months to get back to normal. I think CCleaner did something bad to the registry. Then I decided to uninstall it from my computer. To this day I still do not know why this happened on his computer.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Don't use Registry clenaers/optimizes Sep 6, 2012

CCleaner is a great tool for cleaning temporary files and history traces.
However, don't use its Registry cleaner component, actually, don't use any Registry cleaning tools. The risks of using them far exceed their theoretical benefit. I say theoretical because even if they don't mess up your system, in part (usually) or in whole (more rarely), and do their job perfectly, you won't notice any performance gain. Registry cleaning is basically a myth.
And if you do insist on using such
... See more
CCleaner is a great tool for cleaning temporary files and history traces.
However, don't use its Registry cleaner component, actually, don't use any Registry cleaning tools. The risks of using them far exceed their theoretical benefit. I say theoretical because even if they don't mess up your system, in part (usually) or in whole (more rarely), and do their job perfectly, you won't notice any performance gain. Registry cleaning is basically a myth.
And if you do insist on using such tools, do a backup of the registry first. Chances are that sooner or later you will need it.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:19
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Eset Sep 6, 2012

I had a variety of other AVs until Eset, which I have now had for over a year. It works quietly and unobtrusively, without slowing the machine down, and I haven't had a problem since.

I also have the free version of Malwarebytes, which I only run when I suspect a virus, but Eset must be doing it's job, because MB has never found anything.

Eset did catch a Conficker virus at one point, on a memory stick, but it identified and destroyed it right away.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:19
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't access the report Sep 6, 2012

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

If you really want to pay for an anti-virus program, the number one again is Avira Internet Security 2012, which sells for $90. All these ratings and more are on Consumer Reports pages, which I will provide the link for.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/security-software/security-software-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

That link may or may not work for you because Consumer Reports is a paid site. I have been a member for several years now. If you buy a lot of things including cars, and would like to make wise decisions, it is a good investment.

Lets wait and see what others have to say about the subject. Every idea is debatable, of course. I am curious as to other suggestions. Anti-virus programs is an open topic.

[Edited at 2012-09-06 07:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-09-06 07:10 GMT]

Thanks for the link Atil but it doesn't work because I am not a paid member of consumer reports.

Also, do you know if there are consumer reports for CAT tools. That would be very helpful as well because there are so many of them to choose from.

Thanks again,
Sarah

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is important advice Sep 6, 2012

Shai Nave wrote:
And if you do insist on using such tools, do a backup of the registry first. Chances are that sooner or later you will need it.

I completely agree! It entirely matches my experiences with such tools. Good advice.

ATIL KAYHAN
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
No CAT Tools at CR Sep 6, 2012

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Thanks for the link Atil but it doesn't work because I am not a paid member of consumer reports.

Also, do you know if there are consumer reports for CAT tools. That would be very helpful as well because there are so many of them to choose from.

Thanks again,
Sarah

I am sorry the link does not work for you. Also, I searched for CAT tools but there are none at Consumer Reports. I guess the subject is just too specific for Consumer Reports. They usually deal with things that most consumers would be interested in.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:19
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies! Sep 7, 2012

I am always amazed by all the helpful replies I receive here from so many of you.

Right now I am leaning towards Avira Free, ESET NOD32 and Kaspersky IS (with safe money feature since I make purchases on-line). I am going to use the trial versions first before making any purchase decisions.

Thanks once again!

Sarah

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's a good anti-virus program for translators?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »