Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Under control Feb 20, 2015

Thank you all for your advice. I think I have things under control. I had saved Java the first time the message appeared and I did it once more today. I ran a scan with my security program, which includes a spyware/malware check and everything seems to be fine. Hopefully this will be the end of the repeated messages.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Alerts are fine Feb 20, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I also have Java installed, but have never gotten update messages every day. I'd say something fishy is going on.

You didn't receive messages because, as I understand, you updated Java regularly. If you don't, the Java updater will issue alerts every day, that's normal.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just say "no" and then update manually Feb 20, 2015

Tina Vonhof wrote:
Do you want the following program to access your computer:
Program: Java auto updates
Verified Publisher: Oracle America, Inc.
File origin: hard drive

Your Java installation is set up to auto-update, but your Java installation does not have sufficient privileges on your computer to auto-update, which is why your computer asks you every time. Either set your Java not to auto-update, or figure out how to give Java more privileges on your computer so that it will auto-update without prompting the computer to ask you about it.

It looks legit but surely they don't update the program every day?

Well, it could be that Java isn't being updated after all, but that the prompt you're getting is simply the auto-updater trying to discover whether you still use the latest version of Java. After all, the message doesn't actually ask your permission to update -- instead, it asks if the program called "Java auto updates" may "access" your computer (which could mean that it simply wants to look).

If you click "Yes", does it then update your Java?

[Edited at 2015-02-20 09:18 GMT]

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:51
JavaScript: the new standard? Feb 23, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:

Javascript is a less general language

JS has become "a little more general", since Apple decided to support it too. You can now create JS apps in the AppleScript editor. E.g.: http://developer.telerik.com/featured/javascript-os-x-automation-example/

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not only Feb 23, 2015

2nl wrote:

JS has become "a little more general", since Apple decided to support it too…

I doubt that Apple’s decision has had any influence on general acceptance of JavaScript. Much more important is JS support by, obviously, Internet browsers, as well as by some apps such as Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice, OmegaT. However, JS remains and will remain just a scripting language. Python, or Perl, or Groovy are much more powerful thus more relevant for real application development.

Anyway, it turns out that JS is offtopic for this particular thread

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My daily Java

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »