Scam: Impersonating well-known (US) companies – Fishing e-mails from the ATA Directory
Thread poster: Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:18
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 12, 2020

Dear all,

I am sure we are all pretty cautious before replying to any "Job Opening". Normally, mails look pretty untidy, full of mistakes and not professional at all.

What I got earlier today was a nice professional mail (perhaps snatched from a legitimate one from that company) and that made me pause before deleting mid mail.

I never reply to prospects from my mobile, can't see all details, can't do any thorough check... call my paranoid but that's it.... See more
Dear all,

I am sure we are all pretty cautious before replying to any "Job Opening". Normally, mails look pretty untidy, full of mistakes and not professional at all.

What I got earlier today was a nice professional mail (perhaps snatched from a legitimate one from that company) and that made me pause before deleting mid mail.

I never reply to prospects from my mobile, can't see all details, can't do any thorough check... call my paranoid but that's it.

Later on, I read the mail from my PC. Sender's address showing the official domain, didn't look at the reply address/CC's at first and read the whole mail first.

Good almost to the end where I could read to my astonishment that interviews go via Hangout
Well, that was an absolute deterrent) of all the online video call / messaging services this one has a specific fame (and not for the quality itself but for the fact that catfishing is the norm, and no physical location tracking real-time)

Of course, I had then a look at the reply address and CC's: gmail of course. Plus, I also looked at the source text, and the return path was another faked domain, still easy to misread as the legitimate domain of another large pharma company

Of course, I've checked on the official website of that company and found a full page about fraudulent job postings, and the phone number fo their global security.

I am sure we are all aware of everything. Still, if they keep on sending out such mails, it means that they hit a home run more often than rarely. So, do not share anything without checking out first.

Giuliana
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Aline Amorim
Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Impersonating well-known (US) companies – Fishing e-mails from the ATA Directory

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »