Maria Rigli
Maria Rigli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:24
Member (2013)
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 18, 2018

Is there a way of counting the words of a website with SDL Trados 2015, when you do not have the files? You only have the website. What are the required steps?

[Edited at 2018-04-19 07:18 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This all depends... Apr 19, 2018

amazonlioness wrote:
Is there a way of counting the words of a website with SDL Trados 2015?

This all depends on the file format of the files (and whether you have the files in your posession).

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Quite likely impossible Apr 19, 2018

It depends entirely on how the website has been built, and whether or not you have proper (legal) access to all the content you need to count.

To illustrate my comment: as far as I know, there is no tool in Trados or elsewhere (except perhaps the hacker community) that could reliably extract everything that is “translatable” on the websites I have built and continue to administer. My sites – like many others, including proz.com – have several levels of “need-to-know” ac
... See more
It depends entirely on how the website has been built, and whether or not you have proper (legal) access to all the content you need to count.

To illustrate my comment: as far as I know, there is no tool in Trados or elsewhere (except perhaps the hacker community) that could reliably extract everything that is “translatable” on the websites I have built and continue to administer. My sites – like many others, including proz.com – have several levels of “need-to-know” access control, governed by multi-component user credentials. If you don’t have all the credentials there’s translatable text you’ll never see.

Also, there are a large number of error messages (all translatable) which even at the “public access” level of security will not been seen – by you as a site visitor or by any CAT tool (or other legitimate software) – unless you trigger the corresponding errors (eg: enter a bad password).

You should also be aware that the translatable content of “this files” you refer to may not be available anywhere outside a database forming part of the website infrastructure. Looking again at my own sites, everything on the home page except the site policy documents linked in the footer is held in a database, not a text file. I estimate that less than 5% of my site content is downloadable as simple text or html files – all the rest is built on-the-fly every time the user clicks on something, pulling the content from the database behind the scenes.

It is for all these reasons that my sites have a built-in “translation” interface – which has its own “need-to-know” control governed by credentials available only to trusted translators.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

website word count

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »