Issues with TM, multi-term termbase, and creating return packages in SDL Trados 2017
Thread poster: Elisabeth Lauffer
Elisabeth Lauffer
Elisabeth Lauffer
United States
Local time: 11:55
German to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2018

Hi all,

I'm new to SDL Trados 2017 and have been struggling a lot with setup and finalizing projects — I'm worried clients might start sending fewer projects if I continue to have such trouble with the software!

The first issue I've found is that setting up projects (receiving the package from the client, opening it in Trados, setting up TM and termbase) doesn't align with the Trados training tutorials, which I've now watched several times. It seems that when I upload
... See more
Hi all,

I'm new to SDL Trados 2017 and have been struggling a lot with setup and finalizing projects — I'm worried clients might start sending fewer projects if I continue to have such trouble with the software!

The first issue I've found is that setting up projects (receiving the package from the client, opening it in Trados, setting up TM and termbase) doesn't align with the Trados training tutorials, which I've now watched several times. It seems that when I upload the single file for translation, this separates the document from the rest of its corresponding files. When I simply click on the downloaded package (thus opening it in Trados), I find that I do not get the same pop-up screens to walk me through setting up the TM and termbases.

I believe I have correctly set up some TMs, but I get *so* few exact or fuzzy matches (even for things I KNOW I have translated earlier in the project, meaning I have to scroll back to see how I translated it the first time) that I fear I'm doing this wrong, too. As far as the file-based multi-term termbase is concerned, when I try to navigate through the file tree, all I find is empty folders where the client-provided TMs were located.

Finally, once I've gotten through translating the document, saved, and x'ed out of Editor, I have been unable to create return packages — the button is grayed out. I've therefore had to send the .sdlxliff and finalized Word doc or PPT back, which is obviously less than ideal.

Can anyone help? These are rudimentary questions, but these issues are causing me a great amount of anxiety and frustration!

Many, many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:55
English to German
+ ...
Help with Trados, TMs and Matches Jul 24, 2018

Hi Elisabeth,

I used to train people on how to use Trados at the company I used to work for. Ok, so without actually seeing you work with it, I am trying my best at a remote diagnosis:)

You can set up the TM and term bases at any time, even if Trados didn't ask you to when opening a package.

But first things first: I'm assuming you're opening the package by clicking "open package", selecting the sdlppx the client sent you, selecting a folder where the proje
... See more
Hi Elisabeth,

I used to train people on how to use Trados at the company I used to work for. Ok, so without actually seeing you work with it, I am trying my best at a remote diagnosis:)

You can set up the TM and term bases at any time, even if Trados didn't ask you to when opening a package.

But first things first: I'm assuming you're opening the package by clicking "open package", selecting the sdlppx the client sent you, selecting a folder where the project should go and then Trados unpacks the package and opens the project for you.

It normally jumps to the "files" tab and shows you which files are in the project. If the client has already pretranslated the files, the status bar is probably not at 0%. By clicking on the "project settings" button on the top left you can make specific changes to this project. If this window is not showing you the TMs you have to click on the language pair on the left and click yourself through to the translation memories. Here you can add a TM, if necessary, and make sure that it is activated. You always need at least one functioning TM.
To add/activate a termbase, click on "termbases" under the relevant language pair on the left.

So, now to the fun stuff If you know you have already translated parts of the text in a previous project, just attach that TM to the project (see above) and then "pretranslate" the files. There are several ways to do this. One would be to select the files and the click on "batch tasks" (or right click) and select "pretranslate files" and then just pick your desired settings.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "It seems that when I upload the single file for translation, this separates the document from the rest of its corresponding files." and I think this might be the reason for you not being able to create return packages.

Ok, so for 100% and fuzzy matches within a project: I would recommend opening all files at the same time. You can select all the files and then click on "translate". All files should now open in a single editor window. A tag at the beginning and end of each document tells you which document you're in. There should also be a list of files on the left.

Then, you make your way to the "options" window and select the "auto propagate" option you wish to use.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Auto-propagation.htm
If you activate this, your confirmed translations will be automatically added to identical/similar segments in the opened files. To confirm a translation to the TM you can either click on the respective icon (a little pen) in the menu bar, right click or simply use ctrl+enter.

The "options" menu also lets you make other nice changes, like font size, color, spell check etc. Just have a look and pick what you like. I would also recommend setting the QA checker here. If you need help with this, let me know. This post is already getting very long.

Regarding the return packages: if your project is intact (ignoring the "separation" you mentioned), creating a return package should be possible by selecting all files (or going to the project list in Trados and selecting the project; somehow, that sometimes makes a difference) and then the "return package" button should be active and can be clicked on.

I hope I haven't confused you more and could help a little. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Kind regards
Janine

Another thing: "As far as the file-based multi-term termbase is concerned, when I try to navigate through the file tree, all I find is empty folders where the client-provided TMs were located."
The languages have to match exactly. If the project is in US English, the TM and termbase also have to be or they won't work. But as usual, there are ways of combining US and UK TMs. https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/3689
Collapse

Elisabeth Lauffer
Elisabeth Lauffer
United States
Local time: 11:55
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 24, 2018

Hi Janine,

Tausend Dank for this incredibly thorough response! You have been very generous with your time. I will walk through these steps the next project I have, and let you know if any further questions crop up.

Best wishes,
Liz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issues with TM, multi-term termbase, and creating return packages in SDL Trados 2017

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »