Thread poster: Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari
Setti Mulari  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 01:48
Finnish to English
Nov 3, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I've been asked to help with localising a website for a friend's company, which I was happy to do. Then he said he uses Rails and the source file will be a .yml file - I had no idea what he was talking about.

I've never come across this before and I quickly checked Trados documentation, which did not mention .yml and Google results weren't very specific in terms of translation of yml file
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I've been asked to help with localising a website for a friend's company, which I was happy to do. Then he said he uses Rails and the source file will be a .yml file - I had no idea what he was talking about.

I've never come across this before and I quickly checked Trados documentation, which did not mention .yml and Google results weren't very specific in terms of translation of yml files.

It's a brand new thing for me - I didn't even know what Rails was until I came across it today. Could someone let me know what the best tools and approaches are for this kind of a project?

Thanks ever-so-much.

Setti.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:48
French to German
+ ...
yml is the file extension for YAML files Nov 3, 2009

Setti Mulari wrote:

Dear colleagues,

I've never come across this before and I quickly checked Trados documentation, which did not mention .yml and Google results weren't very specific in terms of translation of yml files.

It's a brand new thing for me - I didn't even know what Rails was until I came across it today. Could someone let me know what the best tools and approaches are for this kind of a project?

Thanks ever-so-much.

Setti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YAML

Bruno Marmier
Bruno Marmier  Identity Verified
Spanish to French
+ ...
text editor Nov 3, 2009

.yml files contain programming code, configuration and databases structure info.

I think the best tool to work with is a text editor.

I don't know if Ruby on rails has a format for localization files. A lot of Unix-related project use the .po files.

Anyway, text editor will always work.

Regards

Bruno

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
A most useful hint, Bruno! Nov 3, 2009

Bruno Marmier wrote:

Anyway, text editor will always work.

Regards

Bruno

Indeed!

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Is it still true or are there new tools to work on .yml files? Sep 25, 2014

Hello all, I find this discussion in ..2014
As we (froggies) say, water has flown under the bridges..

Like Setti, initiator of this forum entry, I accepted to translate a (friendly) Internet site, but in fact the input files formats are new to me: *.yml and *.haml, I suppose these have smthg common with XML.

1) I could enter these files into MemoQ 2013 "as source XML files", and I know what to translate and what not to translate, but it is very hard for my
... See more
Hello all, I find this discussion in ..2014
As we (froggies) say, water has flown under the bridges..

Like Setti, initiator of this forum entry, I accepted to translate a (friendly) Internet site, but in fact the input files formats are new to me: *.yml and *.haml, I suppose these have smthg common with XML.

1) I could enter these files into MemoQ 2013 "as source XML files", and I know what to translate and what not to translate, but it is very hard for my eyes. I hope the ouput files will be of the form *.yml and *.haml, can somebody confirm?
as you perhaps know, with MemoQ, I need to do most of the translation before generating an outpt file.

2) Is there a more user friendly way of doing that? Editor, OK, I was thinking of an editor indicating - for instance with colours - what is text and what is not? i was thinking of a free/open source application? suggestions welcome.

May be something is available now, which was not in 2009..

Thank you for your help - Madeleine
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Notepad++ Sep 25, 2014

Madeleine Chevassus wrote:
Editor, OK, I was thinking of an editor indicating - for instance with colours - what is text and what is not?

Notepad++ with appropriate settings?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2235606/best-yaml-editor-for-windows-users

But there are lots of Google hits for YAML + editor. Nowadays, syntax-highlighting is a standard feature.

Giacomo Falconi
Giacomo Falconi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoQ 2013 is perfect for *.yml files Sep 26, 2014

Hi Madelaine,
you can simply create a new project in MemoQ and select your source *.yml file, as this is a format well-managed by MemoQ.
For *.haml files, you can open them in Notepad, save as .txt (Unicode) and add them to the same project in MemoQ, in order to translate all of your files in the same environment and with the same TM.

I hope this helps

Giacomo
... See more
Hi Madelaine,
you can simply create a new project in MemoQ and select your source *.yml file, as this is a format well-managed by MemoQ.
For *.haml files, you can open them in Notepad, save as .txt (Unicode) and add them to the same project in MemoQ, in order to translate all of your files in the same environment and with the same TM.

I hope this helps

Giacomo
http://www.wordbridge.it/cat-tool-tips/
Collapse

Giacomo Falconi
Giacomo Falconi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
MemoQ 2013 is perfect for *.yml files Sep 26, 2014

I forgot to add that at the end of the process you'll need to reopen the source *.haml files and copy/paste the content of your translated .txt files.

Giacomo

Noel McCourt
Noel McCourt  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:48
English
*.yml and *.haml as TTX or XLIFF Sep 26, 2014

Hi Madelaine,

If you prefer not work in MemoQ directly with these files, I can prepare them as XLIFF or TTX (or Trados Studio files) and you won't need to worry about seeing what should be translated and what should be ignored. I do this regularly for clients before sending to translation.

Depending on the format and tools which you have available to you, I may need the files after translation to convert back to the original format.

Let me know if I can hel
... See more
Hi Madelaine,

If you prefer not work in MemoQ directly with these files, I can prepare them as XLIFF or TTX (or Trados Studio files) and you won't need to worry about seeing what should be translated and what should be ignored. I do this regularly for clients before sending to translation.

Depending on the format and tools which you have available to you, I may need the files after translation to convert back to the original format.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards,
Noel.
Collapse

EduardTsoy
EduardTsoy
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:48
English to Russian
+ ...
How to convert .YML/.YAML to .TTX/.XLIFF/.SDLXLIFF? Anything wrong with MemoQ? Jul 1, 2015

as XLIFF or TTX (or Trados Studio files)

Hi Noel,

Could you please tell how to convert .yaml/.yml files to .ttx/.xliff/.sdlxliff?
Are there any disadvantages in working with .yml directly in MemoQ?
Thank you!

Ed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Rails .yml translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »