Does anyone hate TO3000?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Using it but shopping around Jan 26, 2013

On the one hand, I like it, since it speeded up and systematized my invoicing in comparison to my previous method (working with selfmade spreadsheet templates). Still, it does not satisfy me totally. I would like some more freedom to adjust the invoice number to my own system. Also, the currency conversion feature (or the lack of it) would need some attention. And the total impossibility of entering outsourced jobs is also a minus point. I am not an outsourcer, but I might share a job with a col... See more
On the one hand, I like it, since it speeded up and systematized my invoicing in comparison to my previous method (working with selfmade spreadsheet templates). Still, it does not satisfy me totally. I would like some more freedom to adjust the invoice number to my own system. Also, the currency conversion feature (or the lack of it) would need some attention. And the total impossibility of entering outsourced jobs is also a minus point. I am not an outsourcer, but I might share a job with a colleague from time to time. This would label me an agency in their view and I would have to buy the much more expensive Projetex, which would be overkill for me.
But as long as I have not found anything better yet, I stick to it. Been using it for almost 7 years now.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:38
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Reports Jan 26, 2013

Claire Cox wrote:
Another thing it doesn't do that I expected it to - or perhaps it does but it's not apparent to me how you do it! - is enable you to create reports. I like to draw up annual statistics at the end of the tax year on how much work I've done for each client...

You can create reports by opening necessary pages (clients, jobs, payments, balances of clients etc) and filtering the information in them (there are preset filters, and you can also create your own filtering conditions - the filters are in the left bottom corner). And you can also calculate totals, and export reports in 5 formats.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:38
English to Slovak
+ ...
Gave up on it too Jan 26, 2013

I was unable to customise (or couldn't figure out how to do it) my invoice template the way I wanted it, so uninstalled it.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Invoice templates Jan 26, 2013

are customised directly in Word; the list of codes is available in Help.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:08
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It is a life-saver for me Jan 27, 2013

I don't know how I would manage my accounts without TO3000, it is a life-saver and a time-saver for me.

I have been using it for years now, starting with TO2007. In fact, I like this version better than TO3000, but unfortunately the earlier version is no longer supported.

There are a couple of points that I find irritating with TO3000, which you may want to be warned of:

1. The currency choice per agency is limited to just one currency. But some of my Europ
... See more
I don't know how I would manage my accounts without TO3000, it is a life-saver and a time-saver for me.

I have been using it for years now, starting with TO2007. In fact, I like this version better than TO3000, but unfortunately the earlier version is no longer supported.

There are a couple of points that I find irritating with TO3000, which you may want to be warned of:

1. The currency choice per agency is limited to just one currency. But some of my European clients sometimes use euros as well as dollars. This sometimes creates a problem. For example if you set the default currency for an agency as euro and you get a job from them in dollars, you will not be able to auto-generate an invoice correctly. What I have to do in this case is to generate an invoice in the default currency (euro) in Word format, and then manually change the currency into dollars. This is time consuming and defeats the very purpose of using TO3000.

2. I have some problems with the Project Tab. It has two tabs labelled "New" and "New Projects". The New tabs opens a new job under an existing project and New Projects is used for creating a new project. These tabs need some getting used to - I still haven't fully understood their functionality. I create a New Project every time I have to issue an invoice with the result that My TO3000 interface is full of "red" projects - projects that have not been closed.

The problem with TO3000 is that it has fallen between two stools in trying to serve both translators and outsourcers. For just a translator like me, many of the project management features in it are redundant and confusing. It would have been better if TO3000 had just concentrated on translators and developed PROJETEX for outsourcers.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
No projects any more Jan 27, 2013

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

2. I have some problems with the Project Tab.

In the newest version you can choose not to use projects at all - quite a few people have requested that.

I also find it very helpful, I cannot imagine doing invoicing in Excel etc. It does need a bit of tweaking, especially if you have very specific requirements, but it is worth it. The two things I would like to see is import of POs (e.g. from a csv file) - as POs are automated, it would be rather easy to extract relevant information - and having all job/invoice data stick for the same client - I hate it when I need to switch between invoice types, job types, etc.

Holger Laux
Holger Laux  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Only available for Windows = non-starter Jan 27, 2013

I moved away from Windows a long time ago, being fed up with the virus arms race and all the regular software conflicts.

As TO is not available under Linux, it is no good for my production setup.

I gave it a quick spin in a virtual XP sandpit though and have to agree with previous posters: Too complex, doesn't focus on what I need it to do.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ.com webinar on TO3000 Feb 7, 2013

There was a free webinar on TO3000 today. The recording of that webinar will be available at http://www.proz.com/videos/Free%20webinar%20week%20videos/2095 in about 48 hours.

There is another free webinar video
... See more
There was a free webinar on TO3000 today. The recording of that webinar will be available at http://www.proz.com/videos/Free%20webinar%20week%20videos/2095 in about 48 hours.

There is another free webinar video on TO3000 here - http://www.proz.com/videos/free%20webinar%20week%20videos/1972
And one on Projetex here - http://www.proz.com/videos/free%20webinar%20week%20videos/1973

Certainly no solution is a panacea and user experience will vary. The AIT team is pretty good with support and assistance. I think they have a live chat feature for support as well.

Hopefully the videos will be helpful.

Drew
Collapse

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I couldn't even get it running. Feb 8, 2013

First, I had a terrible time even getting the application installer downloaded. My antivirus software keep identifying it as suspicious software and quarantining it. I finally managed to convince the antivirus software to stop doing that.

Second, once I'd gotten a copy of the installer pried loose from the antivirus program, I managed to install the thing, but couldn't get it to start properly. Double clicking its icon on the desktop either hung my system or the program hung at the
... See more
First, I had a terrible time even getting the application installer downloaded. My antivirus software keep identifying it as suspicious software and quarantining it. I finally managed to convince the antivirus software to stop doing that.

Second, once I'd gotten a copy of the installer pried loose from the antivirus program, I managed to install the thing, but couldn't get it to start properly. Double clicking its icon on the desktop either hung my system or the program hung at the startup banner.

Third, while the TO3000 folks did respond for my calls for help, they ultimately wanted to log in remotely to my system to find out what was going on. That's when I called it quits.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Prime example of good product support Feb 8, 2013

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

Third, while the TO3000 folks did respond for my calls for help, they ultimately wanted to log in remotely to my system to find out what was going on. That's when I called it quits.

That's when you've missed the chance to experience a prime example of really helpful and responsive product support ... But I can of course see where you're coming from.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Really? Feb 8, 2013

efreitag wrote:

That's when you've missed the chance to experience a prime example of really helpful and responsive product support ... But I can of course see where you're coming from.

I'm afraid I don't call it "really helpful and responsive product support" to say they'll only help on a paid basis after a few queries as happened to me. But perhaps I'm being unreasonable to expect a product to come with a manual or decent instructions?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just my experience Feb 8, 2013

Claire Cox wrote:

efreitag wrote:

I'm afraid I don't call it "really helpful and responsive product support" to say they'll only help on a paid basis after a few queries as happened to me. But perhaps I'm being unreasonable to expect a product to come with a manual or decent instructions?

I'm sorry to hear that - my experiences are completely different. All my queries (certainly more than a few) have been handled in a completely satisfactory manner, and for free.

Maybe there is no manual, I don't know - never missed it.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Same here Feb 8, 2013

efreitag wrote:
All my queries (certainly more than a few) have been handled in a completely satisfactory manner, and for free.

I have posted only a couple of queries and they have been handled in a completely satisfactory manner, and for free.

Also, I have made quite a few suggestions, and I need to say that most of them have been implemented.

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
It's a privacy thing. Feb 8, 2013

efreitag wrote:

Granted, but I have a lot of pretty sensitive information on my system, and I don't fancy the idea of third parties reaching in from afar and rummage around at will.

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
Remote access Feb 8, 2013

Richard, I understand your concerns about letting third parties remotely access your computer, but I agree with efreitag.

In my case, I recently installed the V10 update and made a mistake during the installation process which meant that I lost access to my extensive V9 database which I had wanted to transfer to the new version. Within 24 hours we had exchanged several emails and they suggested remotely accessing my computer via Teamshare. I agreed, we arranged a time, and in front
... See more
Richard, I understand your concerns about letting third parties remotely access your computer, but I agree with efreitag.

In my case, I recently installed the V10 update and made a mistake during the installation process which meant that I lost access to my extensive V9 database which I had wanted to transfer to the new version. Within 24 hours we had exchanged several emails and they suggested remotely accessing my computer via Teamshare. I agreed, we arranged a time, and in front of my eyes they fixed the problem within about five minutes.

For a 25-odd euro upgrade, I felt this prompt and efficient customer service was excellent (and free).

Finally, I've never felt the need for a manual for this product, as anything which is unintuitive has always been answered in the Help section.

Another happy customer
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone hate TO3000?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »