Kathaline Hotte
Kathaline Hotte  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:18
English to French
+ ...
Feb 27, 2015

Hello,

I use SDL Trados Freelance 2011. I've received only a XML file for the translation I've done (done directly in the agency software system) in order to add it into my Translation Memory. But Trados doesn't accept this format. As I usely import TMX files, is there a way to convert this XML file into a TMX file ?
Or, here are the other formats accepted to be imported into my Translation Memory:
XLIFF SDL (.sdlxliff)
TRADOStag (.ttx)
SDL Edit (.itd)
... See more
Hello,

I use SDL Trados Freelance 2011. I've received only a XML file for the translation I've done (done directly in the agency software system) in order to add it into my Translation Memory. But Trados doesn't accept this format. As I usely import TMX files, is there a way to convert this XML file into a TMX file ?
Or, here are the other formats accepted to be imported into my Translation Memory:
XLIFF SDL (.sdlxliff)
TRADOStag (.ttx)
SDL Edit (.itd)

I can't find any conversion solution.

Thank you.
Kathaline
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Perhaps... Feb 27, 2015

...following method may work:
Try to open the xml file via Excel (start Excel first).
Identify the source and target column, if arranged apart of each other in columns.
Erase all other columns.
Save file in Excel format.
Perform an alignment with Studio and update your TM.
Last step: Tell others here, whether it worked.

But maybe first tell from what Online CAT the xml file was cre
... See more
...following method may work:
Try to open the xml file via Excel (start Excel first).
Identify the source and target column, if arranged apart of each other in columns.
Erase all other columns.
Save file in Excel format.
Perform an alignment with Studio and update your TM.
Last step: Tell others here, whether it worked.

But maybe first tell from what Online CAT the xml file was created. Perhaps another colleague may know an easier solution.

Very last step: Do all of us and yourself a favour and raise your rates...

[Bearbeitet am 2015-02-27 18:49 GMT]
Collapse

claude-andrew
claude-andrew  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Select xml file types first Feb 27, 2015

Go to tools > Options > File types and you'll have a list of all the file types accepted by Trados 2011. Probably the various species of xml aren't checked in your list - just check the file type you want (e.g. All xml) and you should be able to load your xml files.
I've translated dozens of xml files with no problem using Trados Studio 2011.

NB My Trados is in French, I'm guessing what the English names are.

Kathaline Hotte
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ONLY MANUAL SOLUTION SO FAR... Mar 6, 2015

Hi Matthias, Hi Claude,

All the various species of XML are checked in the list of the file types accepted by Trados 2011...

Regarding Matthias' solution, I've managed to open the file in Excel but the source language (English) doesn't appear correctly...('key' format instead of 'value' format)...

Same problem when I create a project in Trados from the XML file: the English segments are wrong (key format). So I guess I will have to re-type all the English se
... See more
Hi Matthias, Hi Claude,

All the various species of XML are checked in the list of the file types accepted by Trados 2011...

Regarding Matthias' solution, I've managed to open the file in Excel but the source language (English) doesn't appear correctly...('key' format instead of 'value' format)...

Same problem when I create a project in Trados from the XML file: the English segments are wrong (key format). So I guess I will have to re-type all the English segments manually in this project so that they can match my French translation segments (which appear correctly)

... unless you have another solution...

Thank you anyway to you both!

Best regards,
Kathaline
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Search-and-replace in XML Mar 6, 2015

Kathaline Hotte wrote:

... unless you have another solution...

XML files are plain text files, they consist of the text snippets plus a lot of Tags in angled brackets. Just open the file using Notepad, you'll see that.

Thus, the stuff can be converted into a better form by search-and-replace. Delete all unnecessary tags, then use the remaining tags as "anchor points" to enter appropriate tabs, returns or the like. This way you can get a simple representation, e. g. CSV, that can be imported by Trados.

I've never done that for Trados, but it should be possible to write a Word macro that performs the search-and-replace automatically, preferably by using Regex expressions.

Kathaline Hotte
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKED!!! Mar 15, 2015

Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your message. Actually, I'd like to thank all the people who replied to me, as I could find the solution by mixing all your advise!

Here are the different steps:

- I opened the XML file with NotePad to get a proper document (thanks Rolf!)
- Then, I followed Matthias' procedure in Excel (thanks Matthias!) and all the cell information was correct this time
- I converted this new bilingual Excel document into a CSV file
-
... See more
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your message. Actually, I'd like to thank all the people who replied to me, as I could find the solution by mixing all your advise!

Here are the different steps:

- I opened the XML file with NotePad to get a proper document (thanks Rolf!)
- Then, I followed Matthias' procedure in Excel (thanks Matthias!) and all the cell information was correct this time
- I converted this new bilingual Excel document into a CSV file
- I created a new project in Trados from this CSV bilingual file, after updating correctly the type of file section (thanks Claude-Andrew!)

Result: the project has been automatically 100% translated as per the bilingual document - no need to re-type the translation manually - and so my translation memory could finally be updated!

It was a great team work, congratulations!

Best regards
Kathaline
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Next step on the ladder Mar 16, 2015

Kathaline Hotte wrote:

I opened the XML file with NotePad to get a proper document

Ok. Next time you could try a free editor like "Notepad++" or "XML Notepad" instead of Notepad.

Kathaline Hotte
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKED!!! Mar 16, 2015

Well noted, thanks Rolf!

Regards
Kathaline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert a XML file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »