ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:17
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 7, 2015

Hello,
This might be a silly question but this issue is driving crazy ...
I'm trying to copy a link to a pdf document into a Word document but I can only get the veeeery long address, not a nice short one (www.abce.pdf). I'm using Mac and Firefox. Any ideas how I can get a short link?
Thank you very much!
Irene

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 09:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Link to the link Mar 7, 2015

Select the word (group) you want to add a link to, click Menu | Insert | Hyperlink

Cheers,

Hans

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Hyperlink context menu Mar 7, 2015

The URL is what it is. You can't change it without breaking it.

What you can do is change the visible text while keeping the URL.
In Word: Context menu->Hyperlink->Edit Hyperlink.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-07 10:37 GMT]

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but ... Mar 7, 2015

Thank you both for your answers!
Yes, this would certainly be possible for electronic documents, but what if the document is printed? The shortened link would lead nowhere ... I seem to remember that in older days (many, many years ago), it was possible to get short links to PDFs. There was an easy solution, but maybe it was abolished, who knows.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 09:17
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Tiny? Mar 7, 2015

www.tinyurl.com

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
There are such services, but ... Mar 7, 2015

ibz wrote:
it was possible to get short links to PDFs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_shortening
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurz-URL-Dienst

BTW, I never click anonymous links. Regardless of whether they are in dubious mails, in ProZ or wherever else.

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paper documents Mar 7, 2015

Thank you all for your comments!

It seems that my problem can't be solved. It's quite easy to use hyperlinks as suggested by Hans, but obviously this only works for electronic documents.
But what happens if you want to publish a hard copy? Hm... You see my problem?

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:17
English to Latvian
Are you talking about obfuscated links? Mar 7, 2015

... e.g. you are searching for something on Google, attempt to copy the location of a search result via context menu and it turns out to be an insanely long link (usually multiple rows of text) with many parameters attached by Google for tracking and/or logging purposes? I'm providing an example of such a link below.

www.google.lv/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url= [..] ... See more
... e.g. you are searching for something on Google, attempt to copy the location of a search result via context menu and it turns out to be an insanely long link (usually multiple rows of text) with many parameters attached by Google for tracking and/or logging purposes? I'm providing an example of such a link below.

www.google.lv/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url= [..]

If so, this Firefox addon is what you are looking for - after you install it, you will be able to copy and paste direct links to electronic resources (PDF files, MS Word documents etc.) without all the extra unnecessary stuff.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy links to FDP documents

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »