Marguerite Storm
Marguerite Storm  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:50
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 21, 2015

I need some education on how to translate PDFs using a CAT tool. I have tried several solutions and haven't found a very good solution.
I generally use Wordbee for my translations and project management, and overall I am very satisfied. It's an all-in-one tool that is very well designed. It has it's own PDF converter (bought separately). I don't think it's very good and has cost me many hours of trying to fix my end result.
My best experience has been with Adobe Acrobat, then Wordf
... See more
I need some education on how to translate PDFs using a CAT tool. I have tried several solutions and haven't found a very good solution.
I generally use Wordbee for my translations and project management, and overall I am very satisfied. It's an all-in-one tool that is very well designed. It has it's own PDF converter (bought separately). I don't think it's very good and has cost me many hours of trying to fix my end result.
My best experience has been with Adobe Acrobat, then Wordfast Pro. However, I still have layout/formatting issues and cannot come up with a 'perfect' Word document.
I'm interested in your comments and suggestions on this.
Thanks!!
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 17:50
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Search the forums Jul 21, 2015

This topic has come up many times before, and I think you should find some interesting reading in the existing posts in the forums.

In my own experience, Abby FineReader is a very successful PDF > DOC OCR program (and can even be advantageously used with PDFs that are actually in an editable format anyway).

HOWEVER, its attempts to re-create the original formatting / layout of the document are a total disaster, and I always choose the 'straight text' option, as it is mu
... See more
This topic has come up many times before, and I think you should find some interesting reading in the existing posts in the forums.

In my own experience, Abby FineReader is a very successful PDF > DOC OCR program (and can even be advantageously used with PDFs that are actually in an editable format anyway).

HOWEVER, its attempts to re-create the original formatting / layout of the document are a total disaster, and I always choose the 'straight text' option, as it is much less work to translate first and then re-instate the page layout later — if indeed it is necessary, depending on what the customer intends to do with it.

Whatever solution you use, I strognly recommend stripping out ALL formatting (if necessary, by using 'Save as...' and saving as a .TXT file) in order to simplify the translation part of the job; after that, the layout is merely a secretarial task!
Collapse

Marguerite Storm
Marguerite Storm  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice! Jul 21, 2015

Thank you Tony! I hadn't thought of saving as txt. That is probably the way to go until they invent a good OCR tool!!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:50
English to Thai
+ ...
Foxit Phantom PDF Jul 22, 2015

Grite wrote:

Thank you Tony! I hadn't thought of saving as txt. That is probably the way to go until they invent a good OCR tool!!

Foxit Phantom PDF is light-weighted and versatile for OCR. It is easier to handle if compared with Adobe Acrobat. It can save OCRed documents in a number of format including text files.

Soonthon L.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:50
Member (2015)
German to English
Spare licence Jul 22, 2015

Not sure this is the place for it but if anybody is interested I have a spare licence for Abbyy FineReader 12 as I bought two by mistake. It has never been activated.

Marion Lemari
Marion Lemari  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Stripping out all formatting Jul 23, 2015

I have always wondered about the same thing.

I agree with Tony M, and I believe it is more professional to actually rebuilt the layout after the translation process. Every attempt to keep the converted layout always looks messy. I have discussed this subject with a project manager once, and according to him, the agencies expect that the translator submits her work with a clean layout.

I am currently using Adobe Acrobat, but it takes a few additional steps before a doc
... See more
I have always wondered about the same thing.

I agree with Tony M, and I believe it is more professional to actually rebuilt the layout after the translation process. Every attempt to keep the converted layout always looks messy. I have discussed this subject with a project manager once, and according to him, the agencies expect that the translator submits her work with a clean layout.

I am currently using Adobe Acrobat, but it takes a few additional steps before a document is ready for translation. I am not sure if this very professional, but at first, I always convert a PDF into a Word document. Then, I copy the text into a new Word document and simply paste the text without any formatting. Next, I remove any breaks and fix spaces between the words if there are any. I do some basic formatting before I start the translation process, but I keep the majority of the formatting work for later.

I am not sure if other converter programs let you choose your source text language as well, but Adobe Acrobat has this function, and it seems to help a lot.

[Edited at 2015-07-23 04:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-07-23 04:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF conversion

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »