IntelliWebSearch and Windows 10
Thread poster: Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Local time: 03:56
Italian to English
Aug 6, 2015

Afternoon All,
I wonder if any of the daredevils among you could let me know how IntelliWebSearch fares (both the old Version and the new) under Windows 10?
Yes, I’m a chicken: I haven’t managed to muster up enough courage to upgrade to Windows 10 yet

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mike

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
works fine Aug 6, 2015

Just installed win 10 and all seems well (using 3.2.0.5). Didn't need to reinstall intelliwebsearch.

Olly

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
IWS 3 works like a charm Aug 7, 2015

Just dive in, Michael,

Make a screenshot of the Windows activation key page to have some proof that your current version of Windows is activated and upgrade to Windows 10 when you have 2 hours to spare. Everything kept working on my machine, including IWS 3.

If you want to test the lightning fast IWS searches in the new Edge browser, the IWS program setting for the browser is:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Cheers,
Gerard

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
How about trying IntelliWebSearch Version 5? Aug 7, 2015

Gerard de Noord wrote:

...upgrade to Windows 10 when you have 2 hours to spare. Everything kept working on my machine, including IWS 3.

The problem is finding two hours to spare.

If you have ten minutes more to spare, perhaps you'd like to give IntelliWebSearch Version 5 a spin

Regards
Mike

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Windows 10 and IntelliWebSearch 5 Aug 9, 2015

I installed Windows 10 yesterday and can confirm that the new version of IntelliWebSearch is working fine.

I also tested setting up a search with the Quick Wizard, and it located IE 11 without a problem.

*** Edited to add:
Actually, I'm sorry to report that this morning I do have problems with IWS 5 on Windows 10.
It only works for one search, not if I perform another search within a minute or so.

I'll take this over to the IWS Yah
... See more
I installed Windows 10 yesterday and can confirm that the new version of IntelliWebSearch is working fine.

I also tested setting up a search with the Quick Wizard, and it located IE 11 without a problem.

*** Edited to add:
Actually, I'm sorry to report that this morning I do have problems with IWS 5 on Windows 10.
It only works for one search, not if I perform another search within a minute or so.

I'll take this over to the IWS Yahoo group and report back here if there's any news.

[Edited at 2015-08-10 08:16 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmed via Twitter Aug 10, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Emma

Thanks Emma!
I am very relieved. I received a private Twitter message along the same lines too. Apparently Version 5 can also use Edge for the searches if you wish.

Regards
Mike

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bug already fixed Aug 10, 2015

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

[Edited at 2015-08-10 08:16 GMT]

This bug was sporadically reported with other operating systems too, but it is fixed in the latest download.

Regards
Mike

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Bug resolved Aug 10, 2015

Michael Farrell wrote:

This bug was sporadically reported with other operating systems too, but it is fixed in the latest download.

Thanks, Mike. I've updated to build 12 and IWS is now working fine in Windows 10.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mine's at "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" Aug 10, 2015

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Just dive in, Michael,

Make a screenshot of the Windows activation key page to have some proof that your current version of Windows is activated and upgrade to Windows 10 when you have 2 hours to spare. Everything kept working on my machine, including IWS 3.

If you want to test the lightning fast IWS searches in the new Edge browser, the IWS program setting for the browser is:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Cheers,
Gerard

Interestingly, mine is located at:

"C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"

… and I can't get IWS 5 to use it, yet. Will report back if and when I do.

PS: I upgraded my Win7 to Win10 a few days ago.

[Edited at 2015-08-10 22:48 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Weird Aug 10, 2015

OK, got IWS 5 to use Edge. I had to create an empty shortcut on the desktop (right-click on Desktop > New > Shortcut), and use this location:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Then, in IWS program settings, I navigated to the shortcut I just created, and IWS 5 can now use Edge. Not sure if I am not doing something completely stupid (probably am), but it works.

------------------------
... See more
OK, got IWS 5 to use Edge. I had to create an empty shortcut on the desktop (right-click on Desktop > New > Shortcut), and use this location:

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

Then, in IWS program settings, I navigated to the shortcut I just created, and IWS 5 can now use Edge. Not sure if I am not doing something completely stupid (probably am), but it works.

------------------------

Edge is indeed zippy. Hope they add LastPass soon, so I can start using it.

[Edited at 2015-08-10 23:01 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Farrell

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Easier way Aug 11, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Not sure if I am not doing something completely stupid (probably am), but it works.

I would say ingenious, but since not everyone is quite so techie, Version 5.0.1.14 now lets you choose Microsoft Edge from the dropdown list of compatible browsers:
Program settings>Other>Browser/Application settings>Browser

Regards
Mike
PS: with this change, IntelliWebSearch Version 5 now appears to be fully Windows 10 compatible.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IntelliWebSearch and Windows 10

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »