How do I perform a word count on HTML files?
Thread poster: Christina Clark
Christina Clark
Christina Clark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:40
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 1, 2002

Hi!

I would like to know how to carry out a word count on html-files i.e so I get the actual word count on the words I need to translate not included all the tags etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 08:07 ]

Can I maybe use the program FeeBudget for this?

[ This M
... See more
Hi!

I would like to know how to carry out a word count on html-files i.e so I get the actual word count on the words I need to translate not included all the tags etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 08:07 ]

Can I maybe use the program FeeBudget for this?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 09:59 ]
Collapse

Lars Sørbotten (X)
Lars Sørbotten (X)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Convert to rtf using ITP Filter Pack and use Analyse in Trados Aug 1, 2002

If you convert the html files to Trados-tagged rtf files using ITP Filter Pack, and then perform an Analysis in Trados, you get a very accurate word count.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Practicount will do the trick Aug 1, 2002

Practicount, a very handy software tool, could help you out here.

Go to

www.practiline.com

for full information and downloads.

I\'ve been using this software for quite a while now and wouldn\'t want to miss it anymore: counts most formats (docs, rtf, ppt, xls, wpd, htm (htm, htms, shtml,...)), calculates amounts due...and lots more.

Very easy
... See more
Practicount, a very handy software tool, could help you out here.

Go to

www.practiline.com

for full information and downloads.

I\'ve been using this software for quite a while now and wouldn\'t want to miss it anymore: counts most formats (docs, rtf, ppt, xls, wpd, htm (htm, htms, shtml,...)), calculates amounts due...and lots more.

Very easy to install and (still) less than 50 USD, I believe.

Good luck
[addsig]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
PractiCount, Trados and WebBudget all can do the trick Aug 1, 2002

I was quoting on a large web site localization project with 270 html files. I compared the three counter programs and they gave different results.

PractiCount: 103,916 words

Trados: 115,722 words

WebBudget 3 XT: 117,971 words.

WebBudget 3 XT just came out yesterday. I received an email notice and downloaded. It is specially designed for html counting although it cost more than PractiCount. It used to sell for $89 but the new 3 XT ver
... See more
I was quoting on a large web site localization project with 270 html files. I compared the three counter programs and they gave different results.

PractiCount: 103,916 words

Trados: 115,722 words

WebBudget 3 XT: 117,971 words.

WebBudget 3 XT just came out yesterday. I received an email notice and downloaded. It is specially designed for html counting although it cost more than PractiCount. It used to sell for $89 but the new 3 XT version launching price is 220 euros. It does more than just counting the words now. It can extract translatable strings from html file and you can translate right in the program with TM and glossary support.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-01 11:46 ]
Collapse

Jan Neersoe
Jan Neersoe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
Or do it the crude way... Aug 1, 2002

If it\'s juat about a couple of pages, you could simply open the pages in Internet Explorer, choose Edit/Select All, copy & paste everything into Word and then do a word count there.

Of course this won\'t catch any text items inside the HTML tags that might need to be translated, like \"ALT=\" statements etc., and if you need to do this type of count regularly, you\'d be better off getting one of the aforementioned utilities, especially if you need to process a large number
... See more
If it\'s juat about a couple of pages, you could simply open the pages in Internet Explorer, choose Edit/Select All, copy & paste everything into Word and then do a word count there.

Of course this won\'t catch any text items inside the HTML tags that might need to be translated, like \"ALT=\" statements etc., and if you need to do this type of count regularly, you\'d be better off getting one of the aforementioned utilities, especially if you need to process a large number of files. But it works when there\'s nothing else available...

By the way, I\'ve found the TRADOS word count for HTML pages to be a bit unreliable at times... but it\'s convenient and gives a good approximation.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:40
SITE FOUNDER
Word count software included with Platinum membership this month Aug 1, 2002

(this is for those also considering becoming platinum members now...)

Word count software included with Platinum membership this month:

http://www.proz.com/plat/

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:40
German to Spanish
+ ...
Very tempting, Henry... Aug 1, 2002

Which word count software is it? You don\'t give details in the advertisement and maybe you could use this chance to tell us a bit more about it. Which kinds of files does it count?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:40
SITE FOUNDER
It is PractiCount ($50 value) Aug 1, 2002

It is PractiCount ($50 value)

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I couldn't find it, Henry ;(( Aug 1, 2002

Could you please indicate how can I enjoy this offer.

Thanks and keep up your M A G N I F I C E N T work !!!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:41
English to German
+ ...
Check the ProZ home page Aug 1, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-01 18:53, CHENOUMI19 wrote:

Could you please indicate how can I enjoy this offer.

There\'s an ad on top of the home page that you cannot miss...

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Ralph ! Aug 2, 2002

Thank you Ralph for your help.

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:41
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
MS Word Aug 2, 2002

Just open your HTML file with MS Word (usind menu item) File->Open (and indicate File type as HTML). Then you use menu item Service -> Statistics. It\'s easy!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:41
English to Thai
+ ...
Latest development Jan 4, 2016

This topic is quite old but I need to add comments for benefit of translators.
In December a UK agency hired me to do translation in Trados. After delivery they told me to edit the translation output (html codes in Excel files). This consumes more time than translation. The agency is reluctant to pay for extra fees that were never discussed and quoted before hand.
I found that the html codes needed deep revision for localization into the Thai language and they were not easy to edit s
... See more
This topic is quite old but I need to add comments for benefit of translators.
In December a UK agency hired me to do translation in Trados. After delivery they told me to edit the translation output (html codes in Excel files). This consumes more time than translation. The agency is reluctant to pay for extra fees that were never discussed and quoted before hand.
I found that the html codes needed deep revision for localization into the Thai language and they were not easy to edit since they were in Excel file while the final output would be a web-based document.
Lesson: ask for the entire html processes before accepting the job.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I perform a word count on HTML files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »