Thread poster: French Foodie
French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
French to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2013

Hello
I'm a new user of Swordfish and so far very pleased. My only problem at the moment is editing the database. My client has requested a term change and I would like to edit all occurrences of it in the database. When I use the concordance, I can find the term but not edit it. Is there a find and replace function for the database - it seems to work only for the document being translated...
Thanks in advance
Mara

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Spanish
Anchovy / Stingray Jan 9, 2013

Export your database as TMX and edit it in Anchovy (included in Swordfish) or Stingray. Then import the revised terms into a new database and discard the old one.

Regards,
Rodolfo

French Foodie
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
complicated Jan 9, 2013

Thank you for your quick reply Rodolfo!
I've been trying to do as you suggest, but am having difficulty. In anchovy do I have to convert to a glossary file, and then back to TMX? When I import the new TMX it says that it has imported 0 segments, which is odd.
It seems like quite a process to create a new database, import the new TMX, discard the old database just to change one word.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Spanish
Try stingray Jan 9, 2013

If you don't want to convert the TMX file to glossary, try Stingray.

Creating a database takes only a few seconds. It's not so complicated.

If you don't want to spend time correcting the glossary, translate and then use search & replace to correct the translated XLIFF.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One of the biggest drawbacks of Swordfish.. Jan 9, 2013

...is the indirect (i.e. external) database modification.

The way of changing existing terms (export->modify->import) is not only complicated but simply nonsense and dangerous. I don't want to juggle with my main termbase (consists +20k entries) every time I have to modify one single term.

I can only hope that the way of terminology handling will change in the next version, because the software itself is quite good.

Regards,

Gyula

French Foodie
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
worked Jan 9, 2013

Thanks Rodolfo, it worked this time with Stingray! But instead of recreating a database, could I not have used a slow import that updates existing similar entries?

I agree with Gyula though, this is a major problem with the software (which I otherwise quite enjoy!). Many of my clients are closely involved with the translation process and updates are often made to both the source and target texts once the initial translation has been sent. This means that I am going to have to recre
... See more
Thanks Rodolfo, it worked this time with Stingray! But instead of recreating a database, could I not have used a slow import that updates existing similar entries?

I agree with Gyula though, this is a major problem with the software (which I otherwise quite enjoy!). Many of my clients are closely involved with the translation process and updates are often made to both the source and target texts once the initial translation has been sent. This means that I am going to have to recreate a new database practically every week!
I hope this is a change that can be made soon, I think most users would really appreciate it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

editing term in database

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »