xliff file
Thread poster: QUOI
QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2013

Hi everyone,
I recently ran into a few issues with xliff files.

A client sent me a few .xlf files and I ran source files through Swordfish xliff checker module and it says the following:

Validating: C:\Users\X Ray\Desktop\xliff\originals\cont21474888690_ja-JP.xlf

- XML file parsed.

- XLIFF version: 1.2

* XLIFF namespace not declared.

> XLIFF namespace declaration added.

> Document reloade
... See more
Hi everyone,
I recently ran into a few issues with xliff files.

A client sent me a few .xlf files and I ran source files through Swordfish xliff checker module and it says the following:

Validating: C:\Users\X Ray\Desktop\xliff\originals\cont21474888690_ja-JP.xlf

- XML file parsed.

- XLIFF version: 1.2

* XLIFF namespace not declared.

> XLIFF namespace declaration added.

> Document reloaded.

- Validating against Transitional XML Schema.

- Checking content details.

* Invalid date: 2013-02-07T04:14:09

Selected file is not valid XLIFF.

Swordfish seems to translate the file without problem but adds the following at the beginning:

I wonder if the client has somehow generated xliff files incorrectly. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
English to Spanish
Encoding declaration Mar 2, 2013

Swordfish can handle some invalid XLIFF if they are not too bad. A wrong date format can usually be safely ignored.

The encoding declaration added at the beginning is a safe addition. It is OK and all XLIFF files should have one.

Regards,
Rodolfo

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advise Mar 2, 2013

Hi Rodolfo,
Thank you for your reply. If I may get your advice on a related matter.

I also used DVX2 to translate the same source xliff file and after exporting the project, I noticed the target file had following attributes added:

and

... See more
Hi Rodolfo,
Thank you for your reply. If I may get your advice on a related matter.

I also used DVX2 to translate the same source xliff file and after exporting the project, I noticed the target file had following attributes added:

and

When I tried to open the translated xliff file in Swordfish, it gave a message to say it is not a valid one.

This may be a silly question, where does a CAT tool such as Swordfish or DVX get namespace declaration from? Does a client need to supply a separate file so a CAT tool knows what to include in the process?

Appreciate your advise.

Ray

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Swordfish can handle some invalid XLIFF if they are not too bad. A wrong date format can usually be safely ignored.

The encoding declaration added at the beginning is a safe addition. It is OK and all XLIFF files should have one.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Not valid XML Mar 2, 2013

If the file you have has those things inside, then it is not valid XML and can't be called XLIFF.

The encoding declaration must be valid, otherwise an XML parser will not be able to read the file.

Some tools use custom namespaces in their XLIFF files, like SDL does in SDLXLIFF. Swordfish includes most common third party extensions in its own XML catalog.

You will only need to ask your client to send custom schemas for handling their namespaces if they give
... See more
If the file you have has those things inside, then it is not valid XML and can't be called XLIFF.

The encoding declaration must be valid, otherwise an XML parser will not be able to read the file.

Some tools use custom namespaces in their XLIFF files, like SDL does in SDLXLIFF. Swordfish includes most common third party extensions in its own XML catalog.

You will only need to ask your client to send custom schemas for handling their namespaces if they give you custom XML files. That's somewhat unusual these days when everybody is tryong to adopt open standards.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the pointers Mar 2, 2013

Hi Rodolfo,

This is very helpful. I now need to find out why DVX adds these and how to change that. BTW, the source xliffs are generated from Ektron CMS and according to its website, it supports xliff standard up to 1.2.

Thank you for your help once again.

Ray

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

You will only need to ask your client to send custom schemas for handling their namespaces if they give you custom XML files. That's somewhat unusual these days when everybody is tryong to adopt open standards.

Regards,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2013-03-02 12:58 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:01
English to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ extensions? Mar 2, 2013

Swordfish includes most common third party extensions in its own XML catalog.

Does it include the extensions for XLIFF files generated by MemoQ? I mean their namespaces and stuff?

Regards,

Piotr

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
MemoQ extensions are secret Mar 2, 2013

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Swordfish includes most common third party extensions in its own XML catalog.

Does it include the extensions for XLIFF files generated by MemoQ? I mean their namespaces and stuff?

MemoQ extensions are secret. Until they are disclosed and documented none can properly support them.

Regards,
Rodolfo

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFF namespace not declared Mar 2, 2013

So if the XLIFFChecker plugin says a .xlf file "XLIFF namespace not declared", it means whatever the system (ie. Ektron CMS) which generated the xliff file has not included that information, in which case a filter must be created by using a client's system (ie Ektron CMS) specific schema file, is this the right thinking?

I understand Swordfish will add the most common declaration but ideally, it should be from the system which generates source xliff files for translation. Is this c
... See more
So if the XLIFFChecker plugin says a .xlf file "XLIFF namespace not declared", it means whatever the system (ie. Ektron CMS) which generated the xliff file has not included that information, in which case a filter must be created by using a client's system (ie Ektron CMS) specific schema file, is this the right thinking?

I understand Swordfish will add the most common declaration but ideally, it should be from the system which generates source xliff files for translation. Is this correct?

Thank you
Ray

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

MemoQ extensions are secret. Until they are disclosed and documented none can properly support them.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
XLIFF namespace handled automatically Mar 3, 2013

Swordfish expects to work with XLIFF files. There is no problem if the XLIFF namespace is not declared because Swordfish has the necessary XML schemes for XLIFF in its own XML catalog.

The declaration should be included in the XLIFF file. Being XLIFF an open standard, declaring the namespace is enough; there is no need to ship the declared XLIFF schema with the XLIFF file.

Regards,
Rodolfo

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 3, 2013

Hi Rodolfo,
Thanks for your advise.
Ray

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

xliff file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »