Elsa Chesnel
Elsa Chesnel
Canada
Local time: 12:04
English to French
+ ...
Feb 7, 2013

Hello,

I am new in the profession and I heard about the Errors and Omissions Insurance.
I think that it would be good for a freelance translator to contract one, but the quotes that I received from the insurances are very high and most of the time they don't seem to get what my job is and what I need this insurance for.
They throw all these questions at me and expect me to know the answers, such as: will you work with clients outside of Canada and what is the percentage
... See more
Hello,

I am new in the profession and I heard about the Errors and Omissions Insurance.
I think that it would be good for a freelance translator to contract one, but the quotes that I received from the insurances are very high and most of the time they don't seem to get what my job is and what I need this insurance for.
They throw all these questions at me and expect me to know the answers, such as: will you work with clients outside of Canada and what is the percentage of your work that will be done with such clients, how much is your income going to be next year...

Do any of you have this kind of insurance and do any of you have a good insurance provider here in Canada?

Thank you for your help.
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
English to German
+ ...
Become a member in a professional association Feb 8, 2013

Elsa,

I can see from your profile that you are thinking of becoming an STIBC member - that's great, because one of the many membership benefits is the option to join a group insurance (E&O) plan at a reduced rate.

Good luck!
johanna

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:04
Spanish to English
I wonder Feb 9, 2013

Has anyone ever known or heard of any translater being sued for a mistake in their translation?

I haven't

Elsa Chesnel
Elsa Chesnel
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news! Feb 12, 2013

This is a couple of good news for sure!

Though I'd rather have the insurance, just in case! And might as well have it now, even if I am not a STIBC member yet...
Still looking for one, not having too much luck so far.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reqested

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Errors and Omissions Insurance Canada

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »