Certifying a translation - no stamp
Thread poster: Laura Messer
Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
Mar 30, 2020

I recently became certified through ATIO but won't be mailed a certificate for some time due to the COVID-19 emergency. I also will not be able to order a stamp or seal until they return to working in the ATIO office. The person I spoke to mentioned the stamp is not required to certify a translation. I was also provided with a link to a sample translator's statement but it shows space for a stamp, which I will not have anytime soon. What is the best way to handle this issue?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
Commissioner for oaths Mar 31, 2020

Laura Messer wrote:

I recently became certified through ATIO but won't be mailed a certificate for some time due to the COVID-19 emergency. I also will not be able to order a stamp or seal until they return to working in the ATIO office. The person I spoke to mentioned the stamp is not required to certify a translation. I was also provided with a link to a sample translator's statement but it shows space for a stamp, which I will not have anytime soon. What is the best way to handle this issue?

Hi Laura,

That's a tough situation. What does ATIO suggest? Is there someone you can call or email?

Normally the alternative to certifying it yourself is to take it to a commissioner for oaths. If the registries in your province are still open, you could call them and ask if and when a commissioner for oaths is available. You swear before the commissioner that your translation is an accurate representation of the original document and then both the commissioner and you sign your declaration.

I called a registry here in Calgary and they are open, so I hope this works for you!

Laura Messer
Canada
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Notary Mar 31, 2020

I believe for an IRCC translation, the declaration have to be signed before a notary anyway. I am looking for suggestions as far as explaining why I cannot stamp/seal my declaration.

Laura Messer
Canada
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Additional guidance Mar 31, 2020

ATIO has provided some additional guidance in an email to members:

"ATIO does not require certified members to purchase a stamp; however, they are required to purchase their stamp from the ATIO office and may do so once circumstances allow.

In the meantime, it is your responsibility to educate your clients and, through them, the organization requiring a certified translation.

Your TRANSLATOR’S STATEMENT including your certification credentials IS suffic
... See more
ATIO has provided some additional guidance in an email to members:

"ATIO does not require certified members to purchase a stamp; however, they are required to purchase their stamp from the ATIO office and may do so once circumstances allow.

In the meantime, it is your responsibility to educate your clients and, through them, the organization requiring a certified translation.

Your TRANSLATOR’S STATEMENT including your certification credentials IS sufficient. It may ONLY contain that information for which you are certified: Your name, language combination and certificate number.

Consider adding a disclaimer that you do not own a certification stamp or seal.
Sign or initial every page of the translation package.

A template for certified members has been provided in the ATIO portal (Once logged in, hover your mouse over your name at the top of the page (next to the flag) and click on RESOURCES, then on “How to Write a Translator’s Statement”). There is also a template available for candidates for certification who are providing translations for non-official documents."
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 09:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
Notary Apr 2, 2020

Laura Messer wrote:

I believe for an IRCC translation, the declaration have to be signed before a notary anyway. I am looking for suggestions as far as explaining why I cannot stamp/seal my declaration.

Once I was certified and had a stamp, I did not need to have my translations signed by anyone else. Check with IRCC if you want to make sure.

Can you ask ATIO to issue a letter that you could submit along with your translation? I don't think they should put the responsibility to educate your clients on you alone. These are unusual circumstances, it would be very helpful and appropriate if they were to offer some help.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Unorthodox Apr 2, 2020

I'm not familiar with ATIO's operation, but if:

- ATIO has a checkable database, with name, number and photo;
- ATIO is okay with you using their seal template without actually having acquired a seal, given the circumstances;
- Client is informed and okay with receiving such a seal mock-up;
- You are not required to stamp the original(s) as well; and
- You have good photo-editing skills.

Then, you may fashion their template into a new one bearing
... See more
I'm not familiar with ATIO's operation, but if:

- ATIO has a checkable database, with name, number and photo;
- ATIO is okay with you using their seal template without actually having acquired a seal, given the circumstances;
- Client is informed and okay with receiving such a seal mock-up;
- You are not required to stamp the original(s) as well; and
- You have good photo-editing skills.

Then, you may fashion their template into a new one bearing your certified, verifiable name and number, affix it to the digital target(s), print out and ultimately sign to its truthfulness.

However, don't do that unless you have documented consent both by ATIO and client.

Too much headache, I know.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certifying a translation - no stamp

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »