Re-vamped IATE EU terminology database released

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Re-vamped IATE EU terminology database released".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Joel Pina Diaz
Joel Pina Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great resource Dec 11, 2018

Thank you much for sharing this article, really useful.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Re-vamped IATE Dec 11, 2018

I use IATE a lot as I've been a freelance translator for the European institutions for a while. I used the old version until last month when the new one was released.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 12:54
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Like Teresa Dec 12, 2018

I used to use it a lot too but I just cannot get the hang of how to use the new version. I used to think it was so useful, especially for certain subjects.

neilmac
Shukla Dutta
Miomira Brankovic

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Can't save settings Dec 12, 2018

Josephine Cassar wrote:

I used to use it a lot too but I just cannot get the hang of how to use the new version. I used to think it was so useful, especially for certain subjects.

Since there seems to be no way of saving the settings (e.g. source language/target language) it's no use to me.

neilmac

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Saving settings Dec 12, 2018

Since there seems to be no way of saving the settings (e.g. source language/target language) it's no use to me.

In my own experience, source and target language settings can be reused across sessions with the new IATE version.

There is nothing to do, the website just remembers your settings.

These are probably automatically stored in a browser cookie, so if your browser is not configured to store cookies (or if it removes them after you quit it), you will have to configure your search settings once again.

Additional settings (expanded search) can be found once you click on the small icon with the up and down arrows just below the blue search button. There is even a button to Reset search settings.

[Edited at 2018-12-12 09:57 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Laure-Anais Perich

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks but Dec 12, 2018

Thanks Jean - you're right. I've just tried it again and it did remember my language pair.

But the way the website is designed is very poor. It doesn't tell you clearly that your preferences will be saved.

However it doesn't know the English terms for a whole lexicon of perfectly normal but non-EU-like Italian words such as the following, taken from a document I'm currently translating:

scettro
irascibile
guerriero
filosofo (which it ann
... See more
Thanks Jean - you're right. I've just tried it again and it did remember my language pair.

But the way the website is designed is very poor. It doesn't tell you clearly that your preferences will be saved.

However it doesn't know the English terms for a whole lexicon of perfectly normal but non-EU-like Italian words such as the following, taken from a document I'm currently translating:

scettro
irascibile
guerriero
filosofo (which it annoying decides, all by itself, to search as "filosofia")
insaziabile
benevolenza

etc. etc.

So I assume its use is limited to bureaucratic documents.

[Edited at 2018-12-12 15:31 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Dec 12, 2018

Yes, I guess its usefulness is limited to bureaucrats… and to anyone who works in domains as diverse as politics / international relations / EU / law / economics / trade / finance / social questions / education and communications / science / business and competition / employment and working conditions / transport / environment / agriculture / forestry and fisheries / agri-foodstuffs / production / technology and research / energy / industry / geography / international organisations…
... See more
Yes, I guess its usefulness is limited to bureaucrats… and to anyone who works in domains as diverse as politics / international relations / EU / law / economics / trade / finance / social questions / education and communications / science / business and competition / employment and working conditions / transport / environment / agriculture / forestry and fisheries / agri-foodstuffs / production / technology and research / energy / industry / geography / international organisations…

The words you have tested are clearly better suited for another type of linguistic resource, such as a bilingual dictionary.
Collapse

Kunik
Diana Coada (X)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Dec 12, 2018

Tom in London wrote:

scettro
irascibile
guerriero
filosofo (which it annoying decides, all by itself, to search as "filosofia")
insaziabile
benevolenza

etc. etc.

So I assume its use is limited to bureaucratic documents.

[Edited at 2018-12-12 15:31 GMT]

IATE stands for Interactive Terminology for Europe and its main aim is to facilitate the task of translators working for the EU (in-house and external contractors), so any domain that has appeared or is likely to appear in EU texts is covered, including Brexit and Bregret (a neologism from "Brexit Regret"), the financial crisis, the environment, fisheries and migration…

Josephine Cassar
Diana Coada (X)

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 12:54
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Can't save settings Jan 3, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

It does remember your settings but what is annoying, is that you have to physically remove the word/phrase whereas before, you did not have to. I managed to use it-I hadn't been able as the words I needed just did not happen to be there but now, it seems to be working ok, except for that little but troublesome detail and so, I find it was better as it was.

Alice Crisan
Alice Crisan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Romanian
+ ...
On iOS devices Mar 6, 2019

If I may ask how to download it on my iPad pro. I tried in the past other database and there were no issues. Wonder where did I went wrong. Is it the size, though no such message is showing up. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Re-vamped IATE EU terminology database released

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »